Flash Usb Not recongnited over night

• Hello,
    Our OMV NAS has been working with no problems for about a year now. This morning it was off line sor we booted it back and it say
    on the black
    no boot device available
    then shows all the Sata availlables

We use a usb bootable
    I went to the bios the order is fine
    1 removable
    2 hard disk
    but nothing happens the usb is not recongnized as bootable

What should we do?
    Should I :
    1/Re-instal on a new usb flash? Will I loose everything if I do so?
    2/Can I repare the usb flash? If yes how?

Should I save my SATA data on an external drive before I do anything?
    My flash key is 4G, is that too small?
    64bit system

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your time and help...
    PS I am good at comnputers but I need to understand so please answer with comprehensive word..:) ;)<3

• I have the same problem, with an ASUS (M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3) board. However, I can use F8 to select a boot device and then boot from the SSD (where I have installed my OMV). Have you tried that?

I haven't had time to troubleshoot why this is though, it occured after a power outage.

cray

• Thanks for answering but we only have F2 or F12 and OMV is installed on the flash usb so...

What should we do?
    Should I :
    1/Re-instal on a new usb flash? Will I loose everything if I do so?
    2/Can I repare the usb flash? If yes how?

• I see, your problem is different from mine. I'd try to use another USB stick, put a bootable image on it and see whether that works. Perhaps the USB flash drive has just given up, they are not really made for running all day or lot's of read/writes. If it boots from there, then you know it might be your flash drive.

• I have to pass here with a concrete answer, but my understanding is that once you boot a new OMV image, it will detect the drives, and then you (only) need to mount them. Then all your drives and folders should still be there.

I'll let the pro's confirm! :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Usb flash drives are not recommended. You usb drive is probably wasted now.

If you want you can try a new installation on the drive, but if it keeps failing is most likely that the flash drive has reached his EOL. Then you should buy another one, same brand since it looks like it has long endurance for lasting a year. There is a new plugin in testing that reduces writes to OMV OS drives.

Other than that i would recommend a spin disk for OS even if it is USB

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your data will still be there once you reinstall but you will have to mount the drives, recreate all users, recreate the shared folders, and setup your services again.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Okay wow great response thank you all I understand evrything....:)

Now I was misleading in thinking that a usb was better than a partition...
    what is a "spin disk for OS even if it is USB"

Thank again

• Offizieller Beitrag

A spin disk is a hard drive. A usb hard drive is recommend over a usb flash drive if you have to use usb. SSDs are fine.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Your data will still be there once you reinstall but you will have to mount the drives, recreate all users, recreate the shared folders, and setup your services again.

Can you explain how or tell me where I can fin that procedure because one day at the beginning we had to reinstal the OS and we had to earase all the disks but at the time there was nothing in them... now loads of stuff..
    I did not save the exacts paths or any of that...

Thank you again for your time

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would create the users first. The filesystems are already created so just go to the Filesystems tab and mount each one. Create the shared folders and you can use the directory picker to pick the existing directories. Then configure the services using the shared folders just like you did when the system was first configured.

I recommend cloning the OS drive using Clonezilla every time you make a major settings change. This is maybe every few months for me. If the OS drive fails, you just restore the clone and everything is running again quickly.

• Hi,
    I don't want to create new thread and my problem is similar, so I hope you don't mind I will post it here:
    I've just started using OMV on my BananaPi (RaspberryPi clone) and I was able to configure it with 8 GB SD card for system (Kralizec 1.15) and 64 GB USB flash drive (EXT4) for storage.
    My goal was to create a low power/cost media center that I will use for DLNA media streaming across my home network. I've done that by installing and configuring mini DLNA plugin and Samba. Next I wanted to use Transmission plugin to download media torrents that will later on be streamed across the network. Everything was working great (Samba, DLNA, Torrent) until I've turned off (shutdown) the device for the first time. After it was turned on again I can use web GUI, but I am unable to access data over Samba, my DLNA devices can connect but don't see stored media and Transmission is able to add new torrents, but they don't download (status changed to stopped after short time).
    I know that USB flash drives are not recommended, but the only other drives I have available are USB HDD (500 GB & 1TB), both using NTFS and with data on them. Is it worth to try external USB HDD? I'm asking instead of just testing it as I can't backup data from any of those two disk right now and setting any as EXT will cause issue on my Windows machine.
    Maybe someone had a simmilar issue and can help me with it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your SD card is probably failing. You will need to reinstall. Install the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin from the testing repo. This will help your sd card last longer.

• Your SD card is probably failing. You will need to reinstall. Install the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin from the testing repo. This will help your sd card last longer.

Unfortunately this didn't work. Should I try with different SD card?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Uh, I said your current sd card is failing and you didn't try a different one?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!