Hello world - which NAS to build

• Hello Community

I am currently thinking about creating my own nas to put it behind my fritzbox cable router and have my own cloud.

What it should do:

- sync photos (ideal would be to upload them to the nas directly after Shooting it) to the nas and between devices if necessary
    - share photos to Family members on the web on demand (and ideal manage These Shares with an Android app)
    - stream Music while in 3G Network and at home (i came to like subsonic)
    - stream Video (most likely only in LAN and eventually remote wlan Environments)
    - backup PCs and Android photos to the NAS (Windows 7 and Windows 8 pc) by having something like a defined Folder on each pc that is synced automatically
    - on demand have a full System backup of the Windows Client on the nas
    - Android apps to manage the System
    - DLNA Support (eventual plex or minidlna)
    - WOL Support
    - high WAF (woman acceptance factor :) which means it should run stable and syncing between win7 , the Android device and the nas in regards to photos as well as photo sharing to Family should be "easy" and stable no beta.

- eventually some time connect a satelite Receiver to be able to Programm Videos like with onlinetvrecorder or have an automatic upload of otr Videos to the nas via internet

My Hardware is a HP Proliant NL54 with 6 GB RAM and 3 1 TB hard drives and 1.6GHZ AMD Processor.

Currently it runs on WHS2011 and is only powered up for backing up data

Now my questions are:

1. would you recommend going for OMV (yes i know it is a omv community here but i asked this in another Forum and was pointed to freenas and xpenology and omv) now it is hard to decide
    2. ist it a working/good practive Approach to run OMV under ESXI so that the N54L can also host the WHS2011 in Addition (with keeping in mind to loose some power comsumption savings as the machine will no longer power down - most likely)

thanks for any Feedback
    chris

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, I would recommend OMV for your NAS. There is a plugin for all of items you listed (samba, plex, subsonic). I would install owncloud using the guide on this forum though. OMV passes my wife's tests.

I wouldn't run it under ESXi. Do you need WHS still running? You could always run WHS as VM in the virtualbox plugin.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the first Feedback. I read about owncloud but i am not sure if the android app runs really stable including automatic Photo sync via 3g Networks. I didnt know that there is a virtual box Plugin so this is another option if stable. I just want to keep it possible to have another machine running.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV is very stable. I run it at home, at work for my production server (samba, tftp, nfs, web, intranet, mysql, rsnapshot, rsync, virtualbox), and at a school of 200 students. Virtualbox is very stable. I run Windows Server in a VM with my primary SQL server instance on it and a VM with my svn server for all source code. I used to host my own email server in another VM. If it is stable enough for those environments, it will easily pass in your environment.

Sharing photos is fairly easy but syncing them is a very different issue. While I don't use owncloud, I am curious what other options you have found especially that run on xpenology and freenas?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have had nothing but problems with FreeNAS. It's supposed to be stable and probably it is but as far as I remember every plugin had its own IP-address for some reason, not just a different port. I was building my network with lots of Z-wave devices combined with Sonos and smart T, ... and ran into a lot of IP-problems. OMV is a lot more user-friendly.

Xpenology basically is DSM software right of the Synology nasses. It's probably the most WAF when it comes to interface. Don't really know if the wife will configure the NAS or not and how stable xpenology is.

• Hi,

I am currently thinking about creating my own nas to put it behind my fritzbox cable router and have my own cloud.
    You should consider remote access via a VPN for security reasons

- share photos to Family members on the web on demand (and ideal manage These Shares with an Android app)
    - stream Music while in 3G Network and at home (i came to like subsonic)
    - stream Video (most likely only in LAN and eventually remote wlan Environments)

- backup PCs and Android photos to the NAS (Windows 7 and Windows 8 pc)
    No problem, if you expose your server to the internet. Or if all of your fam members/clients have a VPN access.

by having something like a defined Folder on each pc that is synced
    automatically

OwnCloud will do this

- DLNA Support (eventual plex or minidlna)
    Plex is supported

- WOL Support
    yes

My Hardware is a HP Proliant NL54 with 6 GB RAM and 3 1 TB hard drives and 1.6GHZ AMD Processor.
    I'm running the same HW with 4GB. More than enough.

1. would you recommend going for OMV (yes i know it is a omv community
    here but i asked this in another Forum and was pointed to freenas and
    xpenology and omv) now it is hard to decide
    Of course. I'm coming from Xpenology. Xpenology is great, but its more closed than omv which runs under standard debian.
    So you won't find a couple of SW for Xpenology. Don't think that for example virtualbox runs under XPE.
    You don't know how long XPE will be supported; every Synology Update is a big challenge for the XPE developers.

Don't think you will find a better NAS-OS for your N54L than OMV :thumbup:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!