Installing with software RAID1 - How please?

• Hi,

I want to set up an OMV box using RAID1 with 2x1TB disks.

I originally tried creating a RAID volume in BIOS (Dell OptiPlex 330). I can create the RAID volume, but it sits there waiting to be initialised. I can't do this in BIOS, and the info I've found on the machine says to do it using Windows disk management - obviously not an option here.
    The hardware checker(?) saw sda, sdb, and md0, but in the disk picker for setting up RAID I was only presented with SDB.

I decided to start again, set the two as individual AHCI disks in BIOS, ran the installer, went to the RAID section of the OMV management gui, but still only get presented with SDB (I guess because SDA is in use).

How on earth do I set up a RAID1 OMV box when the only two disks the PC has are to be part of the RAID array please?

Many thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

While I think it is unnecessary to use raid for the OS drive, you can't do it with the OMV installer. Install minimal Debian Wheezy using netinst and then install OMV on top of that.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ah... Many thanks ryecoaaron.

So - If I install OMV on a single disk, then install the two that're going to be used for the datastore, and use OMV to set them up as a RAID pair, if the disk with the OMV install on it dies, how much trouble would I have bringing the pair back into a new OMV install on a replacement disk please?

And just in case that's a bit of an 'it might work' situation, could you tell me how I go about installing OMV avoiding the steps up and including partition creation please?
    Or point me at the relevant documentation?

Thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you clone the OS drive with clonezilla whenever you make significant changes to the OMV setup, then you just have to restore the clone of the OS drive to the new drive and you are ready.

How to install OMV on Debian or how to install OMV from the OMV installer ISO?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!