SSD for OS seems defect. Need advice

• I hope anybody can give me advice!
    Short history:
    I got a used HP N40L and set it up with OMV using an old 250GB HD, simply because it was available. Installation and everything else went fine. But due to my less knowledge of Linux and some releted messes, plus indications that the OS HD is short before end of life. I decided to by a new OS HD and set up OMV new.
    At the end I decided for a Samsung SSD 850 Evo, which is not really a cheap one.
    After that desaster began, Installation created problems, have to repeat several times and when it was finally done, I had several problems in OMV, but never thought it's related to HD. Except when booting up, there was never any indication of HD error. At boot there was always some ata error, but I couldn't find any good decription for that in the web. And I let it as it was, because OMV was always booting to the end. Then yesterday I decided again for a new installation. But no chance. It always ends up with

Code
    grub rescue >

at boot. Tried everything 4 different, new formatted USB sticks, new formated SSD, Super grub etc. etc. Finally I put my old HD again in the machine and installation goes without any problem, no errors at boot and OMV runs perfect.
    The conclusion is that the SSD created all these problems, but why? SMART values are perfect, so what can be wrong with this part. I want to give it back, but need to say a reason.
    Please help!

PS Anyway I need to replace my old HD sooner or later. Is there a noob friendly tutorial how to do that with Clonezilla?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ask in the thread proliant servers. There is a mod here that works at HP and has plenty of knowledge in this servers. Also many users here have that server model.

There might be an issue with ssd and the bios if I recall, he mentioned two or three weeks ago maybe.
    HP Proliant Servers

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!