Plugins that are wanted - Part 5

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I want to set up a web server, which directory of these do I use ?: /etc/nginx/sites-enabled , /etc/nginx/sites-available/zzz-omv-nginx .

zzz is the config file. sites available is where you put your config file. To enable them, you symlink from sites available to site-enabled. apache is the same way.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello,

is there a chance to get Virtualbox working under OMV v5?
    It looks like that this is the first "Server OS" without the possibility to run virtual machines besides OMV (except by using ESXI - which I really don't know how it works). OMV v4 with the Virtualbox Plugin was great. I really loved it.
    Maybe there's a chance to get Virtualbox running under OMV v5.

Thanks in advance

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

is there a chance to get Virtualbox working under OMV v5?

If you download the installer from virtualbox's repo, it will work fine.

It looks like that this is the first "Server OS" without the possibility to run virtual machines besides OMV

OMV is not an OS. OMV is Debian and OMV does nothing to prevent running virtual machines. kvm still works very well and omv-extras even provides a way to install cockpit for a web interface to kvm. You could use virt-manager from your desktop to manage kvm machines on the OMV box if it is running linux. As mentioned above, virtualbox still works but it is no longer in the Debian repos (virtualbox refuses to make packaging changes that Debian standards require). So, the plugin can't work. I refuse to add the virtualbox repos because their package is terrible for upgrades and just causes problems.

(except by using ESXI - which I really don't know how it works).

The only thing ESXi does is run virtual machines. It isn't really a "server OS".

Maybe there's a chance to get Virtualbox running under OMV v5.

Not unless Debian puts virtualbox in the repos. If you really want to run virtual machines, you should run proxmox on your server and OMV as a VM. I do.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• @ryecoaaron

Thanks. I know that OMV is not an OS. OMV is just a GUI for Debian Server. This is what I learned for sure in the last years :)
    I've installed virtualbox via CLI and it was very easy to install. I saw that Virtualbox is not in the Debian repos and I also read why. But with adding the repos it was very easy. I also found that someone is supporting an unofficial repo for Virtualbox for Debian 10.
    I also could install the extension pack but, than came phpvirtualbox. That was really terrible but at the end and with a lot of testing I also could get phpvirtualbox to run. But the autostart of the VM's was the real pain therefore I stopped everything and deleted virtualbox.
    Maybe I will look at KVM and see how this works.

Thanks anyway for the info.

Now I found out that there's a phpvirtualbox image on docker. Maybe I will test this to see if it's possible to run VM's under OMV/Debian.

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

But with adding the repos it was very easy.

I know. omv-extras used to add the virtualbox repo. That is how I know what a nightmare it is using it.

also found that someone is supporting an unofficial repo for Virtualbox for Debian 10.

I saw that and thought about it but I don't want to count on that repo being maintained plus phpvirtualbox isn't really actively maintained anymore.

• plus phpvirtualbox isn't really actively maintained anymore.

I guess yes. You can see it here that updates are still made.

You're right the repo for the virtualbox is a one man show. It's not fix if there're updates in the future or not.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess yes. You can see it here that updates are still made.

You're right the repo for the virtualbox is a one man show. It's not fix if there're updates in the future or not.

I don't actively follow the repo but when I looked about six months ago, there had only been a few commits in the last year and none to support the virtualbox 6.x. Maybe that is better now but this support is still spotty.

• there had only been a few commits

Sorry, I didn't check the commits. I've just had a look at the date of the last chance. So I can't say how active this repo is. But I will check KVM anyway. This is an official repo so why not to try.
    Thanks for the hint on that

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't know if this is right thread, but it will be nice to have rclone plugin

I worked on one a long time ago and wasn't able to come up with something good. I would look at using it in docker.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!