Plugins that are wanted - Part 5

• A plugin that erases drives, including simple wipe (/dev/zero), ATA secure erase (both regular and enhanced) and forensically erasing HDDs and SSDs to some standard.

I have an eSATA/USB 3.0 caddy on my server that I use for backups, and it would be great to be able to just plug a drive I'm retiring, reselling, or reusing into that, log in, and wipe with the press of a button.

OMV 5.6.26-1 (Usul); Shuttle XPC SH67H3; Intel Core i5-2390T; 8 GB DDR3-1333 RAM; 128GB SanDisk Z400s SSD (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (primary storage); WD Red 2TB (backup and archive storage).

• A plugin that erases drives, including simple wipe (/dev/zero), ATA secure erase (both regular and enhanced) and forensically erasing HDDs and SSDs to some standard.

I have an eSATA/USB 3.0 caddy on my server that I use for backups, and it would be great to be able to just plug a drive I'm retiring, reselling, or reusing into that, log in, and wipe with the press of a button.

why can't you just run "sudo badblocks -wsv /dev/sdX" or combine this with "sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M"

I have read that this two commands should wipe the disk clean as securely as you possible can.
    maybe if you run it couple of times to make sure.
    only bad thing is that you MUST be very careful when typing the drive.

would be nice to have a plugin script that you can just point to the drive in the UI and say run it N times.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• why can't you just run "sudo badblocks -wsv /dev/sdX" or combine this with "sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M"

I have read that this two commands should wipe the disk clean as securely as you possible can.
    maybe if you run it couple of times to make sure.
    only bad thing is that you MUST be very careful when typing the drive.

would be nice to have a plugin script that you can just point to the drive in the UI and say run it N times.

It is more complicated than that when dealing with SSDs, which is why I suggest ATA erase, plus it isn't clear to me how many passes your commands are making as I am not familiar with them. This is the point of scripting - not only does it make it easier (I'm not all that comfortable in Debian shell), it can more conveniently conform to accepted standards, rather than what we each read in some blog post somewheres.

OMV 5.6.26-1 (Usul); Shuttle XPC SH67H3; Intel Core i5-2390T; 8 GB DDR3-1333 RAM; 128GB SanDisk Z400s SSD (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (primary storage); WD Red 2TB (backup and archive storage).

• oh, I am completely with you on having a nice GUI to do this.
    i am not a fan of CLI myself.

I do believe that badblock command works on SSD as well as on HDD.
    not sure about dd though.

• oh, I am completely with you on having a nice GUI to do this.
    i am not a fan of CLI myself.

I do believe that badblock command works on SSD as well as on HDD.
    not sure about dd though.

Give how sparsely the backblock command line tool shows up in search results, I'm not clear I would trust this tool as much as other tools, such as DBAN. It also appears to be more for the purpose of testing than data destruction.

• Offizieller Beitrag

A plugin that erases drives, including simple wipe (/dev/zero), ATA secure erase (both regular and enhanced) and forensically erasing HDDs and SSDs to some standard.

Some/most of that is in the Physical Disks tab already.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• well yes the disk tab has Wipe option, but how secure it is, or should I say how thorough it is?

openletter asked for something secure.

• I have noticed the 'wipe' feature before, but I recall having no idea what it actually does. Wipe, to me, means just write zeros in one pass, which will not be suitable for complete erasure nor for even wiping SSDs.

Additionally, the ATA erase will erase parts of the drive not accessible to an OS plus it restores the drive to its factory configuration, which can result in increased performance. And as I understand it, SEDs will replace the encryption key.

• Offizieller Beitrag

well yes the disk tab has Wipe option, but how secure it is, or should I say how thorough it is?

openletter asked for something secure.

I didn't say it had everything asked for.

I have noticed the 'wipe' feature before, but I recall having no idea what it actually does. Wipe, to me, means just write zeros in one pass, which will not be suitable for complete erasure nor for even wiping SSDs.

Asking for something more without asking how the included feature works is not the right way in my opinion.

OMV does two types of wipe - secure and fast. secure uses shred with 1 pass and fast basically zeros the mbr. I realize it isn't a government standard but I would love to see a story about someone recovering data from a drive with shred run on it. Even just one pass of zeros is difficult if not impossible to recover data from. ata erase is a bit extreme for home users and might do more damage than good.. People who need these super extreme wiping functions shouldn't trust the web interface to do it either. I deal with PHI (Patient Health Information) systems all day long and we only mechanical destruction.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I'd first just like to say that the support that I have received has been outstanding; I intend to blog about my experience with OMV and the benefits that I (as a novice) am realising aswell as the much needed support that I have received along the way :)

The feature that I'd personally like to see is Samba Gnome tracking:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Spotlight

I started a thread re. this topic and the the conclusion has been reasonable; however, spotlight support would make the interaction between OMV and MacOS more seamless. I'm presently executing some work arounds which, while functional, are a little clunky. If I am reading the wiki page correctly, Samba spotlight support is up for grabs, however, I couldn't say how much work Samba Gnome tracking implementation entails.

NAS OMV 3.0.59 Rig: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR | Opteron 165 Dual Core (no overclock) | 4GB Corsair Non-ECC DDR400 RAM | OMV3: 1x100GB IDE | Data: 2x 250GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 3TB WD Red, 1x 4TB Samsung 5400rpm

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this software compatible with OMV3?

Says it requires Ubuntu 16.04. Any advantages over docker?

• It's friendlier, and easier to install.
    It seems like it uses the Docker images.

It has FileRun, WordPress, and many other cool apps to install.
    I would love to have this run on OMV3 instead of Docker.

No luck on Debian Jessie...
    https://git.cloudron.io/cloudron/box/issues/164

Is there a solution?

Code
    The Cloudron platform is designed to easily install and run web applications. The application architecture is designed to let the Cloudron take care of system operations like updates, backups, firewalls, domain management, certificate management etc. This allows app developers to focus on their application logic instead of deployment.

At a high level, an application provides an image and a manifest. The image is simply a docker image that is a bundle of the application code and it's dependencies. The manifest file specifies application runtime requirements like database type and authentication scheme. It also provides meta information for display purposes in the Cloudron Store like the title, icon and pricing.

Web applications like blogs, wikis, password managers, code hosting, document editing, file syncers, notes, email, forums are a natural fit for the Cloudron. Decentralized "social" networks are also good app candidates for the Cloudron.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

It has FileRun, WordPress, and many other cool apps to install.
    I would love to have this run on OMV3 instead of Docker.

I don't think it will run on OMV 3.x. Maybe OMV 4.x since it very close to Ubuntu 16.

Is there a solution?

It probably only works on Ubuntu 16 for the same reason OMV 3.x only works on jessie.

• Offizieller Beitrag

why no support for Kodi ?

Because Kodi is a client and OMV is server. An RPi runing OpenELEC is cheap and works very well for kodi.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Because Kodi is a client and OMV is server. An RPi runing OpenELEC is cheap abd works very well for kodi.

Ok, so you lost me at the 2nd phrase ^^
    RPi ?
    OpenELEC ?
    abd?

I saw that NFS and Samba shares can be accessed by Kodi, so I'll try that.

Edit : Ok I must be stupid but I can't setup kodi (android) to use my remote samba share.
    So is it even possible ? Like watching a films from my server over the net (not in local, I don't care about that^^)

If anyone has any tips or a small guide please ^^
    Thanks

• RPi = Raspberry Pi.
    OpenELEC is a Linux distro dedicated to making a Kodi media center, like OMV is a distro dedicated to making a NAS.

OMV is a NAS, not a media center, and it's not a good idea to combine the two.

Not sure how you would mount a Samba share on an Android device. That's not a typical way of using Kodi.

If you want to use multiple clients and mobile devices, you might want to look at Plex rather than Kodi.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!