change system drive

• I got my new SSD to replace the old one and I don't like to install OMV new, but restore system on the new one and want to ask, for help to do that. I see there are inbuild solutions and I already made a bachup to one of the data drives. I assume following procedure.

- Make backup to data drive
    - set grub loader to boot from Clonezilla ISO one time ==> Is the clonezilla backup on data drive meant?
    - change disk
    - restore system with clonezilla ==> a bit more details, what to click in clonezilla would be good
    - boot up new

Is that correct?

I may have the chance to connect both, old and new disks to my Windows/Ubuntu PC. Is there another (easier) way to clone then?
    Can I just use

Code
    dd

???

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your plan should work just fine. Clonezilla is better and faster than using dd.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Tried today to clone my system. I booted to Clonezilla, old disk still installed and the new one at external Sata port. So far good, but Problem is that, the old disk I use for system by now has a size pretty much bigger, than the new SSD I want to use. Any recommendation?

• Offizieller Beitrag

resize the partitions on the old drive with gparted-live to a size smaller than new ssd.

• Hi,

I've planned to replace my SSD system drive by a smaller one.
    There are two partions on it: 20GB system + 200GB DATA (for download managers, emby, plex and mysql)
    I'll use acronis true image to clone the disk, but what about partitions uuid ?
    they will remain the same, no need to change fstab or anything else?

thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

No idea how acronis works but if the UUIDs are the same, no changes to fstab are necessary.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I finaly succeeded to clone my system disk to a smaller one.

Acronis is simplier to use, but unfortunally it looses the partitions UUID. (at least for version 2014)
    So I give clonezilla a try, with success!
    Here are the steps:

• Boot with Gparted Live to shrink partitions such that they will fit on the new drive
    • Boot with CloneZilla:
      • choose "device-device clone"
      • select the advanced options, let default options and enable the -icds
      • process
    • eventually boot on gparted to extend partitions on the target

Hope it can helps

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!