Upgrading from n40l to microserver gen8 worth the money

• Hi i currently use a microserver nl40 with 6 gb ram and dualcore amd turon processor with 1.5ghz. I am about to move from my whs 2011 Installation to omv. Now i could get a microserver gen8 at a good price but I really do not know if buying the new one and selling the other is worth the effort in regard to later usage of omv. Basically it is more or less more CPU speed but still my old drives and my old memory moving to the newer Hardware which as far as i can read still also does Not Support standby other than hibernation and wol and also does Not support hotplug and has esata outside Interface removed. However maybe the architecture has some benefit which i currently do not see.

• :D

NAS: Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel Xeon E3-1265L-v3 | Kernel: 4.18 | ASRock Rack E3C224-4L | 32GB ECC RAM | System: Crucial M500(250GB) | LSI 9260-8i - RAID0: 2x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB) + 2x Intel SSD (230G) | LSI 9270-8i - 6x WD Red 6 TB RAID5

• I have a N40l too and therefore, I read very often in some HP server related Forums. What I read there s that people try to buy the last remaining new N54l, because they don't want to go with GEN8. Also prices for N54l/N40l went extremely up in new and used condition. I did not made a detailed evaluation in this case, but it seems for me that GEN8 isn't very popular.
    I have only 4GB RAM, but I never came to the limits of the server using OMV, except once there was a buckwild behaviour of plexserver, which is of course some bug or error (need to investigate).

I don't think it's worth the money, even, if you don't say the ammount. ;)

• I have a N40l too and therefore, I read very often in some HP server related Forums. What I read there s that people try to buy the last remaining new N54l, because they don't want to go with GEN8. Also prices for N54l/N40l went extremely up in new and used condition. I did not made a detailed evaluation in this case, but it seems for me that GEN8 isn't very popular.
    I have only 4GB RAM, but I never came to the limits of the server using OMV, except once there was a buckwild behaviour of plexserver, which is of course some bug or error (need to investigate).

I don't think it's worth the money, even, if you don't say the ammount. ;)

Other than processing power, there were a few things N54L doing better than Gen8:
    1. On-board eSATA port for expansion, you can buy some mult-bay HDD dock (remember you need to have SATA multiplier inside to make it work) and expand your storage seamlessly.
    2. So called RAID card for Gen8 is crappy, and now there is a BIOS bug, if you do not install driver for that controller properly, the internal chassis fan will spin at full speed (which is weird), no fix at the moment. I heard somebody has to install ESXi on top so that they can "fix" problem, but this is no an option for me.
    3. 5.25" Optical drive bay in N54L can be converted to another 3.5" removable drive bay, or someone even put a 5.25 > 2 x 2.5" mount, route back external eSATA connection to make a 6-disk NAS (or you can use internal USB header for this purpose to save eSATA port).

So that's why eventually I go for a new N54L 2 months ago instead of a Gen8.

• Some people are mounting 3.5 drives with velcro. Sensors usually work better with Intel. Transcoding, stearming 1080p, power consumption will be better with the newer Intel cpu. These are decisions the end user must make.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!