How to add a real HDD to a OMV virtual machine?

• Hi all,

I've install OMV onto a virtual machine using Virtual Box. I want to access from this OMV to the real hard drives connected to the machine, but I only see option for adding virtual disks.

The aim is having full access to those disks and handle them just like I would in the real machine, having the possibility of creating even a Raid if I want.

Anyone knows how to do this?

Regards and thanks in advance

• Hi,

Yes I have done that on my local machine. I have windows 7 as a host, virtualbox installed on it, and OMV as a guest.

You have to follow the instruction there https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#rawdisk

I personnally implemented what is stated in 9.9.1.1.

I did it twice for my two 2TB hard drives, and then, once recognized by OMV, I just used the RAID management service of OMV to create a RAID1 partition. Easy.

Regards,

• It depends on the hardware you are using, to do this, you need your CPU/motherboard/HBA supporting VT-d so that you can have a device being "passthrough" to the guest OS. Otherwise you will always see a virtual disk only.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!