1Gb not as fast as it can B

• Hello.
    My name is Pawel and I'm new user of OMV.
    I've brand new installation on my Dell R510 (2 x X5675, 32GB RAM, LSI-9260-8i, 2 x BCM5716).
    I have R10 on it - 6xHGST - HUA72303 7200rpm 64MB cache
    Local performance is excellent:
    hdparm -tT - Timing buffered disk reads: 1320 MB in 3.00 seconds = 439.48 MB/sec
    dd read for bs=1000M count=100 i get (105 GB) copied, 273.952 s, 383 MB/s
    dd write for bs=1000M count=100 i get (105 GB) copied, 274.508 s, 382 MB/s
    My problem is network related. Before bonding I wanted to check speed of network services. In the beginning it was connected thought CISCIO SG 200-18, but because of speed problems now it's connected directly via dedicated PCI-e NIC port – nothing has changed after that.
    On my netxtreme 1Gb I can get only about 60MB/s througput on iSCSI/CIFS/SCP.
    Iperf with linux based servers get about 1Gb, my Windows 2003 only 700/800Mb (bcm5709c).
    I've change Cat6 cable , disabled all features etc. on NIC's, check with JF up to 9000 etc. but I get only throughput increased from 50MB to 60MB only. I’ve done a lot of test with different sysctl’s but nothing hate me closer to 100MB border.
    What else do you suggest to do about that?
    Now I dream to have a just a little bit more than 100MB but finally with bonding more than 200. Any help will be appreciated.
    Best regards. Pawel

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you try the backports 3.16 kernel? There is a button to install it in omv-extras.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Unfortunately nothing has changed :/.

I also run on this R510 - Dell Diagnostic Distro (Centos 7 based) and speed was quite the same - just for info.

I think i miss something ... but what ... I need to refresh my mind probably.
    P

• Offizieller Beitrag

My main server is a Dell PowerEdge T410 with dual E5620s. It also uses the Broadcom 5716 NIC. It has no problem hitting 110mb/s over samba. It is still running the backports 3.14 kernel. Strange that you are having speed issues.

If all else fails, drop a pci-e intel adapter in it.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• @subzero79 :
    RX packets:35131337 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:2760347 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:52390375526 (48.7 GiB) TX bytes:1139671967 (1.0 GiB)

@ryecoaaron :
    It's strange for me too, I thought about that, especially because on both ends there is broadcom.
    Second not dedicated card is connected via switch with Marvell with the same result's, so I want to make sure that this intel NIC is my plan ... Z ;).

• Sometimes cheap switches built into routers do not play well. If you buy a good switch it will many times eliminate problems with fuzzy NICs. I am along the lines of blublub. Maybe even a bad cable.

• Hello.
    @edwardwong As I mentioned in my first post - this is how it's connected now to minimize point's of failure.
    @tekkb - that's why I use this CISCIO SG 200-18 - this is dedicated device for it with managing, but with and without them the throughput is a problem.

During this weekend, I've installed on this R510 FreeNAS and Windows 2012 to make sure that this is not software/driver relevant. On both of them <=60MB/s was a max, so I'm make decision to add new Intel NIC to it.
    Best regards. Pawel

• <p>

Hello.&nbsp;<br />
    @edwardwong As I mentioned in my first post - this is how it's connected now to minimize point's of failure.<br />
    @tekkb - that's why I use this CISCIO SG 200-18 - this is dedicated device for it with managing, but with and without them the throughput is a problem.</p>

<p>During this weekend, I've installed on this R510 FreeNAS and Windows 2012 to make sure that this is not software/driver relevant. On both of them &lt;=60MB/s was a max, so I'm make decision to add new Intel NIC to it.<br />
    Best regards. Pawel

</p>

<p>I understand, but now it's troubleshooting, try with a direct connection to isolate problem first, once you figured out what's wrong then you can revert as you wish.</p>

• but I get only throughput increased from 50MB to 60MB only. I’ve done a lot of test with different sysctl’s but nothing hate me

it's a normal speed for ext4 + OMV. If you want to quickly use the bonding:

the actual speed of the server:

I plan to return to the zfs. )

• Offizieller Beitrag

it's a normal speed for ext4 + OMV. If you want to quickly use the bonding:

You can test disk read/write, if you can reach 120 in the single disk, you should be able to reach 110 in a single nic. He might do bonding, but then again he needs dual link in his client (laptop) to reach 220MB/s and a disk capable of writing at that speed (ssd). But he has capable HW (switch) to do link aggregation.

I have a realtek card (the cheapest one they ship these days in MB) and i do 110MB/s. To discard nic issues the best option is always to get an intel card.

• Ugghhh it took some time and conclusions are not clear.
    I've changed NIC to Intel 6 x 1Gb but nothing changed.

Now my OMV is bonded with Cisco again and I can saturate finally this bond ~250Mb.

What helped - frankly speaking I have no .... idea!! Even with bond I had a problem to send more that 80Mb!
    Today I was testing bond options - changing bond mode from 802.3ad to the rest options and checking throughput (IO/Network). When I've changed it to active-pasive I get error after applying settings. All connection's was broken and I have a problem to get to it via network. Reseting networking service etc. didn't solve the problem so because this is not production server I just reboot. After reboot everything was working well but performance was still about the same, so I've changed back to 802.3ad and some magic BUM - without any tuning etc. now everything is working well.

I'm happy and dizzy - I hate situation whet the Magic happens because I didn't know the day when it roll back.

So now it's time to do some AD integration - in FreeNAS it's gr8 you of the box. Is there any good practice about that :D?
    Best regards. Pawel

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!