OMV in Production on a big server suggestions

• Hi All,

We are currently using Openfiler in our production setup for NFS & ISCSI Targets. As Openfiler is not that active we thought about testing OMV.

I installed latest version from OMV downloads on a Dell R720xd server which will be our production if we like it. Just need suggestions on using it on such a huge hardware configuration as
    Dell R720xd, 256GB RAM, 12x3.7TB SATA drives + Attached Dell Powervault MD1200 with 12x3.7TB SATA drives. (Total 74TBs with RAID-6)
    RAID 6 on both sets with inbuilt RAID Cards, 1Gig Network for NFS shares, 2Gig bonded Network for ISCSI Shares, 1Gig Public Network (Will be switching to 10Gig networks later)

My concerns are
    - We will not be using this for critical production apps storage, but still it will be used for our internal important apps. Is it reliable enough to use at work other than home use?
    - Being on this hardware its not even consuming 10% of its resources, Can I run it on a VM in a KVM-Host and attach all drives to it directly and use 70% resources for something else.
    - How reliable are the updates and plugins?
    - Is there any way to backup all the configuration settings, to make a replica in case it goes down. (as in openfiler)

Thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV is Debian Wheezy. Debian Wheezy is VERY stable. I use it on many production servers including a school of 200.

I have OMV running as VM on proxmox for the school of 200. Works very well.

The updates are as reliable as Debian Wheezy. You can always test in a VM to verify. This would apply to any operating system though. The plugins are very reliable for me.

I clone the system drive with clonezilla since it has no data on it. I also use the openmediavault-backup plugin to back it up. While it does not have a restore, it should be no problem to restore for an experience Linux admin.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I switched almost from the same software to almost the same hardware, and it looks fine up to now. I need to do some NFS speed test, but it looks all very stable so far..

what I wonder if there is some way to monitor and smart test the disks thru the LSI 9260-16i from the frontend?

I woouldn't run it in a VM. I know, you get the storage size bundled with this fully unneccessary horsepower, but you shouldn't underestimate the ressource you need for instance for multiple rsync processes.

but as it is debian based, you can carefully use the server for different stuff. we plan to have a standby nginx with the backup of a huge website on it and some kind of elasticsearch/kibana log collector/search frontend.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!