Omv on Micro SD or SSD

• Hello Community
    I will get a microserver gen8 the next days and plan to use it with OMV.
    It has an internal Micro SD Slot. What is better to use it as OMV System drive. I have a 60 GB ssd drive and i have a 33gb micro sd card. What is better in regard s to Performance, durability, and Power consumption ? I plan to run seafile , subsonic and maybe a virtual Client on it and might play with other Plugin s

• SSD isnt really possible on the Gen8 AFAIK. SSD would usually be installed on the ODD port - however this is sata port 5 - so what happens is that on it's own an SSD is fine, but as soon as you put in storage disks the OS tries to boot from them instead, and fails. The only real option is to use the internal micro SD slot as this will boot before the SATA disks, and therefore all should work (is so far!)

Admittedly I'm still playing on setup at the moment... So if anyone can advise a better way then great :)

Paul

• Hello I managed to boot from SSD with the Microserver even with storage drives attached. You can do this by disabling AHCI in Bios and go to the Standard SATA Option instead.
    Then in another menu you can Change the boot Controller order to first boot from the sata Controller the ssd is attached to and it works fine. If you throw "microserver boot disk 5" in google you will find more Infos on that

• Have been using the somewhat complicated ODD bay option (with GRUB on a USB stick), but wanted something simpler and more energy saving. That's why I installed OMV on a microSD and the flashmemory plugin.
    If anyone is interested in the same setup, I suggest using the "Virtual Media" feature on the Gen8, as booting seemed to fail when installing from USB drives (I suspect issues with GRUB). However, installing from CD/DVD should give the same result. So far, everything is working perfectly.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!