rsync als Daemon

• Hello Openmedianer,

This is a quick how-to for setting up Rsync as a daemon. I assume there is no firewall between the two machines and port 873 is open.

Server Side
    Go to the Rsync service then click Server --> Settings. Check Enable then click Save. Click apply to save the changes.
    Click Modules then click Add. Select Shared folder. This is the folder you want to rysnc to the other machine.
    You can change the Name if you like. I leave it with the same name.
    For User I recommend changing to a user with read write permission to the folder. In my case I select my username. Leave Group set to users unless you need to change it.
    Leave chroot checked.
    Check Authenticate Users
    Check Read Only if you are only going to do a pull request from the other machine. This will prevent files to be written back from the other machine. If you are going to write files both ways then leave this unchecked.
    Leave Enable module listing checked.
    Max connections I would recommend setting to 2 if you have a lot of traffic on your network. Otherwise leave it set as 0.
    Hosts allow. Add your other machine IP or hostname here.

Click Users then click Add.
    Select a username. In my case I select my username again. Enter a password. This does not have to be the same for your login but you can if you want to make it simple. This is stored in rsyncd.secrets.
    Click Save.
    Click Save again then click Apply.

You now have a module to use with an rsync client. 8)

This next example I will assume on the client side you are using another OMV install as a backup location. If not, then this will not apply.

Client Side
    Go to the Rsync service then click Jobs. Click Add.
    Leave Enable checked
    Set Type to Remote
    Set Mode to Pull.
    For Source server enter <Your_Username>@<Your_Server_IP>::<Module_Name> or you can try the other methods.
    Set Destination shared folder. I like to have a folder withe the same name as the server machine.
    Enter the password you provided on the server side.
    Set the time, month, and week settings as desired when to run the request.
    Check Trial run for now to test. If you get no errors, uncheck this option later.
    The rest of the settings are personal choice so I will let you decide if you need them.
    Click Save. Then click Apply.

Let's test it. Select the job you created. Now click Run. A window will appear. Click Start. If there are errors they will display here. If all goes well you should see it complete successfully. Click Close. Now click edit and uncheck the Trail run and save.

Hope that helps.

• Hello shadowzero, thank you.

Part 1

Part 2

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!