Recreate Raid 0 after OS reinstall

• Sorry for repost but I believe I had posted in the wrong forum before.

Hi,I had a system running with 1 HD containing the OS and 4 other HDs in a stripe array (Raid 0, created using the Web GUI) for all my data. The hard drive containing OMV crashed and won't boot up anymore so I installed OMV on another hard drive.

What I want is to be able to get access to my Raid without losing any of the data. Is this possible?

This is the output of blkid:

Code
    root@SERVER:~# blkid
    /dev/sdc: UUID="fb49fb92-4b63-fb9e-24d2-5e35f7be1076" UUID_SUB="5b10166e-3457-e46e-5488-797a9b07345d" LABEL="SERVER:Server4Stripe" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdd: UUID="fb49fb92-4b63-fb9e-24d2-5e35f7be1076" UUID_SUB="9ec2529f-5639-0650-c7cf-5ad07fde3303" LABEL="SERVER:Server4Stripe" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sde: UUID="fb49fb92-4b63-fb9e-24d2-5e35f7be1076" UUID_SUB="b03763ee-6281-3dcd-0649-e1690d853bc6" LABEL="SERVER:Server4Stripe" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sda: UUID="fb49fb92-4b63-fb9e-24d2-5e35f7be1076" UUID_SUB="1a950803-9848-26f9-0b77-bb7a5b13594e" LABEL="SERVER:Server4Stripe" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdb1: UUID="66ea7578-41ef-43ce-90cf-19b927b5eeed" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sdb5: UUID="4bbc90cb-2aa9-4534-b810-abb714000240" TYPE="swap"

but strangely cat /proc/mdstat gives this:

Code
    root@SERVER:~# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities :
    unused devices: <none>

Under /dev I can only only see /md and md127, so I tried assembling the md127 array...

Thanks for any help in advance

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try:
    mdadm --assemble /dev/md127 /dev/sd[acde] --verbose --force

You have a four drive raid 0 array and you are worried about losing data?? If one drive fails, you lose everything.

Once you reinstall OMV and get the array working, you should just mount the filesystem in the Filesystems tab. Then recreate the shares you had before and your data should be there (if the array rebuilds correctly).

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You have a four drive raid 0 array and you are worried about losing data?? If one drive fails, you lose everything

I like to live dangerously :P

It was full of movies and TV shows so I'm not too worried about it, but it would save me the week downloading them. I prefer space over stability for this.

In my desperation to try anything and everything I seem to have recreated the array and therefore lost data. Guess I'll just have to redownload everything again, thanks for your help though

• Offizieller Beitrag

I prefer space over stability for this.

Try the openmediavault-unionfilesystems plugin. This allows you to pool the drives without the raid 0 risk. Since you are just using it for movies/tv, you shouldn't need the raid 0 speed.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep. It will pool the drives into one large drive. If one drive fails, you only lose the content on that drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hard to say. It would depend on the drives, cpu, etc. One drive is usually fast enough to saturate gigabit networking. So, additional speed is not needed.

• Thanks for your help ryecoaaron, system is working well and I hope I have done it correctly:

• Quick wiped each disk from the Physical Disk tab.
    • Created a file system for each drive and mounted it.
    • Created an AUFS of the 4 drives.

Another question I have, if I switch my NAS to another PC will I be able to take all 4 drives along with system drive and connect them to the new PC, the NAS will work as it is now?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes. You will just have to run omv-firstaid to fix the networking since the new adapter will have a new mac address.

• ryecoaaron, I am experiencing slow access to my shared folders over SMB/CIFS and videos take way too long to buffer when seeking. It was never like this before, do you think it could be because of using unionfilesystems ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are still using aufs, no. Maybe with mhddfs if you were using a slow processor.

• Just letting you know it's almost impossible to watch anything with AUFS, video needs to buffer again and again after watching a minute or less. Going to switch back to Raid 0 to see if it helps, unless you can guide me on how I can fix it?

Edit: I also shifted the data drives to a better PC (i7 3.0 GHz) with freshly installed OMV and the same thing was happening.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure what to tell you. Most systems can read from an aufs pool at native hard drive speeds because aufs isn't doing much during reads. Are all devices wired networking?

• Yes they each use an Ethernet cable. Was actually hoping I could continue using AUFS, easy to add drives and what not. Switched back to raid and no longer facing this issue.

Thanks for all your help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just tried playing 1080p mkv from a samba share of my aufs pool on my QNAP TS451 (celeron j1800 dual core SOC running OMV) and it worked fine. Not sure why your system isn't working. How are you serving up video? Are you transcoding with plex by any chance?

• No I was just browsing into the share through a windows 7 PC and playing it directly with VLC. I think I might have found my issue, it could be the system drive I'm using (a WD green) has slow read/write speeds. Going to backup and restore on another drive to see how it goes.

• I tried changing the system drive by using clonezilla, but with the new drive it boots up to 'GRUB _' and is stuck there with the underscore just blinking. Here is what I did:

• Connect new drive and booted up OMV from old drive.
    • Install clonezilla and booted up from there.
    • Used device-to-device in clonezilla and selected old drive as source and new drive as destination.

It was successful but a message did pop up saying destination drive is smaller than source (although both are 1TB). Any work around or solution on doing it right maybe?

• So I found out my Ethernet speed is only 100Mb/sec (I feel like an idiot for overlooking this, no wonder rsync of a network drive to the server was maxing at 12 MB/sec)…that could've been it. Going to try fixing that and see if the problem persists.

As for changing the system drive (this may help someone else in a similar position) I was able to do it by installing a fresh omv onto the new drive and rsyncing a backup I made using the system backup tab on the backup plugin. I did have to fix grub because it was pointing to sdd as my boot drive however that had changed to sdc after rsyncing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!