Learn to understand S.M.A.R.T.

• Hi @ all,

have another one question.
    this time I would like to learn more about SMART Funktion.

General question is hoh can I use it and which ajustments are useful(complete selftest once a Month)?
    were can i see the results from the SMART test. log-file?
    What can I read from log files?

Is there some where documetation or tut how to use SMART in OMV?

THX and BR
    JD

• Offizieller Beitrag

General question is hoh can I use it and which ajustments are useful(complete selftest once a Month)?

My personal opinion and experience is that those tests are useless. @davidh2k also thinks the same. SMART values are the one to observe

were can i see the results from the SMART test. log-file?

All the information is displayed at extended info tab including past tests and current smart values

No idea. I have disks with bad sectors, self test keep saying that the disk passed.

This a good post by backblaze blog were they mention what values they observe in HDD in their cloud storage appliances. These guys provide cloud storage using home grade drives instead of enterprise class storage. They also publish their failing stats and disk brand/model.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-smart-stats/

• were can i see the results from the SMART test. log-file?

Invest your time in other things. Like keeping an eye on the smart values.

The same I can read in my crystal ball.

My personal opinion and experience is that those tests are useless. davidh2k also thinks the same. SMART values are the one to observe

110% sign.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi @ all,

Did I uderstood it correct: that third card in SMART menu ger.: "regelmäßige tests" were I can define a time a the thest to be done. Like "simple self test" "complete selftest" and so on is
    usless. Did I got it correct?

I lookt through the SMART infos yestarday (by clicing on Hdd and Information button)but to be honest I didn't understood anything. :(
    there are 3 chards:
    What informations displayed in the 3rd? Is it the test from planed test or is that the information from the test SMART performs hourly as per general setting done by me?
    (btw: does it make sence to set 3600 for the test or beter every 4h?)

2nd chart:
    there are alot of values what are they meen(are this values SMART values?)? I understand that it will take longer to explain them to me but maybe you can advace were can I read more abou this funktions/values?
    May be some one can advice were to finde some "How-To's" to understand how to use SAMRT funktion in OMV

Thnaks in advance,

JD

• Post those values here and someone will likely explain them to you.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Hi dave,

komme an mein NAs erst wieder am Fr ran. dann poste ich sie hier.

aber generel eine Verständniss Frage. Wenn es über die SMART Werte gesprochen wird, sind es die Werte aus dem Zweiten reter de Info die rede?

Habe ich das richtig verstanden , dass ihr dei "Planmäßigen Tests" aus dem Dritten Reiter der SMART Tabelle für unsinnig haltet?

• aber generel eine Verständniss Frage. Wenn es über die SMART Werte gesprochen wird, sind es die Werte aus dem Zweiten reter de Info die rede?

Habe ich das richtig verstanden , dass ihr dei "Planmäßigen Tests" aus dem Dritten Reiter der SMART Tabelle für unsinnig haltet?

Ja.

Gruß
    David

• Hi @ all,

i get alredy two SMARt error messages:
    Can some one help what are they mean?
    -----------------------------------
    This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

host name: xxx
    DNS domain: home
    NIS domain: (none)

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD30EFRX-68_WD-WCC4N2VH4YXH [SAT], ATA error count increased from 2 to 3

For details see host's SYSLOG.

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
    Another email message will be sent in 24 hours if the problem persists.
    ------------------------------

First one was "...increased from 0 to 2."

What do they mean?

and

/etc/cron.weekly/openmediavault-update-smart-drivedb:
    Updating smartmontools drive database ...
    /usr/share/smartmontools/drivedb.h updated from branches/RELEASE_5_41_DRIVEDB

is it just update notification?

• Check your sata cables, maybe replace them. Could also be related to your SATA Port on your motherboard.

Greetings
    David

• Yes it is.

Greetings
    David

• Hello,

in the Post from Blackbaze, Smart Values that really correllate with failures coming are mentioned. See also:
    http://www.computerworld.com/a…t-hard-drive-failure.html

• SMART 5 - Reallocated_Sector_Count.
    • SMART 187 - Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.
    • SMART 188 - Command_Timeout.
    • SMART 197 - Current_Pending_Sector_Count.
    • SMART 198 - Offline_Uncorrectable

Is there anything in OMV that focuses on these values?

If not, what does the Green Sign in the Smart section actually check/signal?

Regards,
    Hendrik

• Offizieller Beitrag

to bad noone can help here

Look here. It checks all of the smart stats and disables the green sign if any parameter is out of spec.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

There's no way to get a message if one of the disks turns red, is there?

In the notifications tab, there is a checkbox for SMART. I assume it emails you when one turns red but I don't know.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!