new build - random reboots - fine in Windows [SOLVED]

• Hello

I'm having trouble running OMV 1.9 AMD64 on my newly built server.

Out of no where, without warning it will reboot. It seems to happen the most when I have plex rescan my libraries. It will reboot multiple timings before having a chance to finish.
    Also noticed it when I tried to migrate files onto the system using Midnight Commander. However I didn't notice anything when copying large files over samba over and over.

I did happen to catch a message while it was idling at the login prompt. It didn't reboot or anything. It was:

299.816078 hardware error machine check event

I've tried (for hours):
    rearranging the ram (from a2 b2 to a1 b1)
    changing ram speed from 1866 to 1600 (they'll default to 1600 when the BIOS is reset)
    booting backports kernel
    disconnecting drives
    testing the system drive in seatools and wd data lifeguard. (short and long test came back clean)
    running memtest (still running, 17 passes no errors so far)
    tailing /var/log/mcelog (didn't see anything that caught my eye)

After none of that worked. I installed Windows 7 64bit. I ran Prime 95 off and on while I browsed the web and installed plex.
    I added some content and had plex rescan over and over (with and without Prime 95). It worked fine.
    It was probably booted in Windows for about 2 or 3 hours and never gave me any problems.

So, what should I do? I'd really like to run OMV but it won't stay running.
    Any help would be appreciated.

system specs:
    APU - AMD A10-5800K (not overclocking, stock cooler- fan set full speed)
    MB - ASRock FM2A99M PRO3+ (running latest BIOS v1.30)
    RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
    PSU - CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W
    NZXT Source 210 Case (5x 120mm fans. 2 front intake, 2 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust)

harddrive drives:
    1 160GB ST9160314AS - system
    2 4TB WD4000FYYZ - data
    3 4TB WD4000FYYZ - data
    4 4TB WD4000FYYZ - data
    5 2TB HD203WI -data
    6 drive RMAed - data
    7 drive RMAed - snapraid parity
    8 4TB WD4000FYYZ - snapraid parity (where windows is currently installed)

(I haven't setup snapraid yet)

• Full syslog and kern.log pls from the times the reboot appears.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you try the backports 3.16 kernel (button to install in omv-extras).

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the replies.
    Alright, I left memtest running while I was at work. Got a total run-time of 24 hours. 14 passes no errors. So, pretty sure the ram is fine.

@ryecoaaron yes, but the 3.16 kernel made no difference. Still reboots unexpectedly .

@davidh2k I attached my syslog and kern.log. Just for giggles I booted with the 3.16 kernel, when it crashed it rebooted with the 3.2 kernel because I wasn't there to select different.

Looks like the system boots back up at Apr 14 00:01:42.

• I'll look at t later when I'm home.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Looked at it. It's no kernel panic whatsoever. It looks like it would be cut off compplete from power and do a simple boot. I have no explanation or other idea at the moment.

Maybe its a weak PSU? CPU usage/HDD usage Spikes?

Greetings
    David

• Well, I replaced the 430W with a 750W Rosewill and it still reboots when I rescan my plex libraries.

I don't understand.. I guess I should RMA the APU and Board?

In the meantime , I'm going to install OMV on a different drive and see what happens. Then, leave it idling in Windows over night to see if it does it.

• Well rma the apu then. May it be broken already.

Greetings
    David

• Alright, so I installed omv on the drive Windows was running on and so far I haven't got any crashes when running scans in plex. It usually takes just 1 or 2 tries before it goes down but, I've done several.

So, this could mean my 160GB laptop hdd (bought used off ebay) is to blame for this mess..

Odd, you'd think hdd problems would flood the logs with errors or something.

I'm going to investigate further.

edit:
    I re-installed omv on the laptop drive and wiped my plexmediaserver directory. Hasn't crashed yet while scanning. So, I guess bad install? I'm running out of time and have to head to work soon. I'll mess with it some more later.

• Odd, you'd think hdd problems would flood the logs with errors or something.

I would think the same, since I know have those errors in my kernel log when my bad OS Drive crashed again (allthough it was weeks ago when it did the last time).

So, I guess bad install?

Maybe it just was... ;)

Greetings
    David

• I think I spoke too soon for the laptop harddrive. Right before I left for work the screen started filling with errors. Something like:

soft CPU Core #1 stuck for 22s (and I'm like what?)

listed the plexmediaserver (with pid)

Call Trace

and then it just spewed gibberish code endlessly until I reset it. I tried to look at in the logs but couldn't find it. (kern.log or syslog)
    ing
    I haven't got it to reproduce this booted off the Western Digital yet, but I'm still trying. I'm running plex scans over and over with mprime going as well.

I fail to see how a harddrive could cause these errors. Something must be really wrong with this build. I've built three computers previous and never have I had so much trouble.

• Hey, figured I'd check back to give an update on this situation.

I ended up pulling the board and replacing it with a Asus A88X-Plus. I haven't gotten any reboots or weird behavior since.

So, for the record it was a hardware problem.

Thanks for the help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!