LVM - Snapshots

    • OMV 1.0
    • LVM - Snapshots

      Hi !

      At the moment i'm testing the LVM plugin, because i want to put my VM on a logical volume, that i'm able to create a backup of it everyday without having to shut it down.

      Is there a plugin or something in the gui available to create LVM snapshots ?

      Or does someone have a nice howto to do that ?

      I want to take a snapshot - then copy my VM in the snapshot to somewhere else - remove the snapshot (and this every night).

      Thank you in advance.

      Greets Karl
    • Karle wrote:

      Is there a plugin or something in the gui available to create LVM snapshots ?


      No

      Karle wrote:

      Or does someone have a nice howto to do that ?


      In Google, also red hat and CentOS websites always have very good documentation every time I look for LVM cli usage

      Karle wrote:

      At the moment i'm testing the LVM plugin, because i want to put my VM on a logical volume, that i'm able to create a backup of it everyday without having to shut it down.


      As i understand Virtualbox can snapshot the VM itself, is a state of the machine at the moment. Other than that I don't know the daily basis of snapshots operations in virtualbox.

      I use btrfs snapshots (CLI operations) for OS disk, but as I understand btrfs snapshots for VM images are not recommended in that FS.
      New wiki
      chat support at #openmediavault@freenode IRC | Spanish & English | GMT+10
      telegram.me/openmediavault broadcast channel
      openmediavault discord server