LVM - Snapshots

• Hi !

At the moment i'm testing the LVM plugin, because i want to put my VM on a logical volume, that i'm able to create a backup of it everyday without having to shut it down.

Is there a plugin or something in the gui available to create LVM snapshots ?

Or does someone have a nice howto to do that ?

I want to take a snapshot - then copy my VM in the snapshot to somewhere else - remove the snapshot (and this every night).

Thank you in advance.

Greets Karl

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a plugin or something in the gui available to create LVM snapshots ?

No

Or does someone have a nice howto to do that ?

In Google, also red hat and CentOS websites always have very good documentation every time I look for LVM cli usage

At the moment i'm testing the LVM plugin, because i want to put my VM on a logical volume, that i'm able to create a backup of it everyday without having to shut it down.

As i understand Virtualbox can snapshot the VM itself, is a state of the machine at the moment. Other than that I don't know the daily basis of snapshots operations in virtualbox.

I use btrfs snapshots (CLI operations) for OS disk, but as I understand btrfs snapshots for VM images are not recommended in that FS.

• With Virtualbox it is possible to create snapshots. This is ok for example to test some software updates.

I want to copy an image of the VM every night to another hard disk to prevent the case of an Hard disk failure. For that the snapshot function of virtualbox does not make sense.

Greets Karl

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!