What can I NOT do with OMV?

• Hello

I am currently evaluating OMV via VMware Fusion on my Mac. I assume there are a lot of people out there like me (assumptions can be bad). Here is my situation:

• Looking to build a NAS/Server box
    • Looking at what base OS I should use (if any)
    • Looking at the various other NAS software "solutions"
    • Want to learn in the process

Basically, I am a Linux n00b. I really want to learn and have been enthusiastically reading/trying many things to which I am ignorant, which is a lot. I can program with Java and Python and have a few apps in the Play store so I am not completely ignorant. That said, I really want to learn SysAdmin, Networking and continue learning Python for web development, etc.

So with that in mind, here are my goals for my (not yet built) server: Play with Docker, Learn about EXSi, Do the typical NAS (backups, file storage, media), learn new technology...

Are my options better served with a "bare metal" install or running with a VM of OMV on a base OS?
    What can I NOT do with OMV in either situation?
    If I run in a VM what are the limitations?

I really appreciate any guidance or opinion!

• If you are going to want to use a lot of the media apps I suggest a bare metal install. If you want to watch movies/tv on a tablet remotely you need a decent cpu too for transcoding. I used to have an ESXi server but scrapped it for parts. I mostly use virtualbox now. I use vms a lot but do not need them running 24/7. It just depends on your needs.

• Thank you for the reply!

Ok, I guess that is where my confusion and lack of Linux knowledge lies. Do you run virtualbox on top of or inside (plugin?) OMV, or is it installed another way? I probably don't need to have VM's running 24/7 either, but would still like to have the option to spin one up if need be. Also, I have been digging into docker and from what I gather, I may not need full VM's for what I want to do... seems like its the way forward.

I have a windows 7 machine (older dualcore wolfdale) with XBMC installed. Its connected to our TV through a 60 foot HDMI cable and controlled with an iPod Touch. This machine will pull from the NAS/Server that I am spec'ing now. There may be streaming remotely in the future, so I am leaning toward at least a quad core intel offering to avoid hiccups. Also, want the cpu muscle for crunching on DB's, playing with networking stuff and more... I have a wide variety of interests in the Python space. I know I am probably chasing unicorns with my desire to get a lot of of one machine...

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a virtualbox plugin. I would run OMV on hardware. You can do everything you want with OMV (except maybe learn about ESXi).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Create virtual machines just like you can with the desktop version of virtualbox. I run Windows Server and another instance of Debian Wheezy in virtual machines on my production server.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!