mhddfs AND aufs simultaneously

• Hi,

I got this idea today, that I wanted to seed torrents using my SSD drive, rather than one of my data drive, to allow the data drive to spin down more frequently (it's rarly doing anything but seeding).

The issue is, though, that the SSD don't have too much free space (enough for a number of torrents, but sometimes not) - so I started looking at creating a pool consisting of the SSD and the data drive.

I've already got an AUFS pool for all my data drives, but here's what I'm looking to create, which I don't think AUFS is capable of:

2 drives:
    SSD/torrents/complete
    DATA1/torrents/complete

Seed from SSD/torrents/complete when possible, but if SSD is full, seed from DATA1/torrents/complete

I know MHDDFS can do this (add the 2 dirs to a virtual directory, and MHDDFS will select the first one, if not full) - but, can I run MHDDFS alongside AUFS (not using the AUFS pools), without running into trouble? Or can AUFS handle this, using one of the other branch-strategies (not available through the old plugin)?

Atom 330 @ 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM
    2x3TB Data, 1x3TB Parity, SnapRAID + AUFS pool
    Latest OMV running on custom Debain Wheezy, 3.14 Backports kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can't use mhddfs and aufs on the same drives at the same time with the unionfilesystem plugin. You must be using the older plugins. No idea if you can use both with the older plugins. From your description, neither will work unless the ssd is bigger (has more free space) than data1.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hm, from what I read about MHDDFS, it will try to fill the first disk until free space < MIN_FREE_SPACE (4GB), then it'll fill the next one. But I might have misunderstood that.

Since I'm running the old AUFS plugin, could I just install the new unionfs plugin, and activate MHDDFS from there?

Atom 330 @ 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM
    2x3TB Data, 1x3TB Parity, SnapRAID + AUFS pool
    Latest OMV running on custom Debain Wheezy, 3.14 Backports kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

The amount of free space can be changed for mhddfs. If you set it to 100% in the new plugin, it will act like aufs.

Should be able to. Never tried using aufs and mhddfs on the same drives before. Doesn't really make sense to me.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!