Faults on new install

• I have installed OMV on 3 computers now. 2 of them work successfully but the last one has been fraught with problems. I installed OMV 5 times before it allowed me to login. Then I tried to configure the drives and got the errors as shown in the pics attached. I could do nothing until I eventually ran: rm /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json. This seemed to correct the problem and then I could configure the drives.
    Next, all the drives are NTFS with files so I wanted to keep them. It worked flawlessly on the 2 other computers but not this one. The shares set up OK and I could open them in Windows but there was no content. Next, I deleted one empty NTFS filesystem and recreated it as EXT4. Unfortunately the original share still exists and I cannot delete it as the delete button is greyed out. ACL button does not exist for NTFS but maybe that\s normal. When I try to open the 2 faulty shares I get the error as attached.
    I hope someone can help

• On what kind of drive are you installing to?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, considering it seems to be complaining about the OS drive... he was probably wondering if you installed to a flash drive, as people nuke flash drives w/ some crazy results.

Sorry I can't help any further than that... I'd try running some diagnostics on the disk, see what happens.

Also, I'd make some pretty significant efforts to get off NTFS (on the NAS drives) and move them to a Linux file system..

• OK, thanks. I have done more today and there is nothing wrong with the system disk. It had been running Windows without issue for 2 years and diagnostic tests say the drive is 100%. Anyway, I fixed the shares issue this morning which now only leaves one problem. All the NTFS volumes come up empty. I can see the data usage with the existing NTFS file system but in Windows there is nothing showing in any of the shares. My other 2 OMV machines show NTFS without issue. I would like to move the NTFS file system over to EXT4 but it means relocating 8TB of data and putting it back, something I would prefer not to do and given that the other computers handle this OK it seems it should work.

• Did you check via CLI that the data is there kn the mounted drives? Did you share the exisiting folders?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Hi David. No I didn't check in the CLI as I can see in the GUI the amount of disk usage is the same as it was in Windows. Nothing has changed with these NTFS disks other than they are now in an OMV machine. They are clearly shared as the shares appear on my network, there is just nothing in them whereas all my shared files appear on my other 2 OMV NTFS drives. I should say that I can copy and delete files to the NTFS disks over my network, but still cannot see the existing files.

• Would you mind if any of us moderators takes a look at it later via Teamviewer? Not sure if I can do it today, tomorrow may be better for me. @ryecoaaron may also be able to help you.

Greetings
    David

• Well you gotta have to run it on your PC but we connect to you and can quickly check a couple of things and act based on what we'll see while we're working on your NAS.

Greetings
    David

• OK, Ive just tried to get the NAS ready but I now have a more pressing problem. It gets about two thirds of the way through loading and then it starts terminating everything, completely reversing the boot procedure. I can see it shuts down in a controlled manner but this is a new development and something I will have to correct before you can remote in. Sorry for the hassle.

Is anybody there still?

OK, it seems to be working again. I ran a 6 hour full diagnostic and stress test and it passed everything. Funny thing is the shutdown problem hasn't happened since the test so I have no idea what happened. I certainly didn't fix anything. There is another issue as well. When I Shutdown or Restart it generates an error which does not go away (doesn't tell me what the error is though) and I have to forceably close the browser. It does seem to work though.

Otherwise, I have the answer to the share problem. I have shared the top level directory containing the 100s of sub-directories and they just can't be seen. These directories should be recursive but I can't find a way to do it. When I pointed the share path to a sub-directory it appeared in my Windows shares on the network. How do I fix this? If I look at my ext4 share, the path points to the top level directory and if I open that up it shows correctly 2 sub-directories. If I do the same for the NTFS drives the top level directory is listed in the same place as all the other directories rather than being the container as in the ext4 shared drive.

Thanks

As this seems to have ground to a halt I will abandon it it and start afresh in the hope I can get some answers. I can't see how to close it so I'll leave at this point.

Well, not only can't I see how to close this off but my new thread has vanished so basically I'm stuck.

• Just open a new one then. ;)

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!