OMV N00b help with Autoshutdown

• I hope this is the right forum, so here goes.

I very recently build a NAS for my own personal use. The build went well and after a little bit of trial and error I was able to get my OMV NAS system up and running. I am not all to much familiar with Linux so I assume I will be posting here frequently.

My NAS is running smooth (AFAIK) but I am wanting for it to go to sleep when not in use. I have installed the autoshutdown plugin but I am not sure how to set it up, but I do have a few questions.
    1. Will my NAS still be visiable from my other PCs?
    2. Can I wake my NAS from my other PCs?
    3. Later on I intended to put some scripts on my NAS that will watch online folders and sync my with my NAS upon changes, will my NAS wake up for this?

That’s all I got for now :)

As far as setting up the plugin,

I assume I can leave all the top settings the same (just enable 'enable' ) and change shutdown command to Suspend

Leave forced uptime alone.

Supervision Configuration and below I have no idea.

• 1. Will my NAS still be visiable from my other PCs?

Thats a tricky one. If the Plugin did not shutdown your NAS, yes it will still be visible. If Autoshutdown shut it down? Then they no longer see it.

2. Can I wake my NAS from my other PCs?

You sure can. Magic Packet is the thing you're looking for.

3. Later on I intended to put some scripts on my NAS that will watch online folders and sync my with my NAS upon changes, will my NAS wake up for this?

If you sleep and the postman puts your mail into your postbox, will you wake up right away to get your mail or do you wait until you wake up and go to your mailbox then?

You have to configure your NAS to wake on specific times, or let something else trigger it. Can't trigger something on a Machine, based on something that is changing while it isn't running.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks for the response David.

I would use the plugin to put the NAS to sleep instead of shutting it down. I rarely reboot my HTPC so I am guessing I will not need to reboot my NAS very often either.

Not very familiar with magic packets. But I use a Mac for my day to day stuff so would mounting a share from the NAS be enough to wake it?

Also for number three I am thinking a cronjob (does cron still work while computer is asleep?) would be my best route for that.

• so would mounting a share from the NAS be enough to wake it?

No, it wouldn't. Needs to be a magic packet.

(does cron still work while computer is asleep?)

Not that I'm aware of. The only thing I know is rtcwake, but you have to set specific times, too.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Is it recommended to perhaps leave to NAS on at all times?

There is no recommendation to turn it off or let it stay up 24/7. Just about your personal likes.

Is there any side effects other than the light hum of the case fans?

Power consumption?

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!