EXT4 Data Corruption Bug?

• Is this something we need to worry about for OMV 1.x and 2.x?

The Article states it's caused by the 4.0 Kernel, so no. For the time beeing you can't be affected by it. But we should keep an eye on it when we move to jessie and start using the backports kernel - when jessie has the 4.0 kernel as backports then.

This problem seems to be very limited. Never the less I will contact @votdev to take a deeper look at the bug to find out wether or not this could affect you.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von davidh2k ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not sure that i am able to tell you what you want to hear. I'm not a kernel developer, so i can not say anything about this issue. What i read about it is that the scenario is limited to RAID0 w/o discard mount option, but that should be nothing new to you. You have to decide yourself if this bug is a problem for your installation.

• I suppose the safe answer is to use XFS for now, which isn't a bad thing anyway. Just have to watch to see when there is a good fix for it and I am just going to avoid EXT4 for now.

Thanks for looking in to it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've been using ext4 on a 12 tb raid 5 mdadm array for years without issues.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have not had any issues with EXT4 either, yet (EXT4 in 5 x 2TB in RAID 5). Just another point on the side of changing to XFS for future builds especially if someone wants to do a RAID 0 build for speed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!