SATA Disk spins up more often after update from 1.7 to 1.9 and using FlashMemory plugin on BanaNAS

• Hi there.

I lately updated my OMV from 1.17 to 1.19 and after this activated the FlashMemory plugin.

The update and activating the FlashMemory plugin worked fine so far. But I encountered that after the updating my attached data disk spins up much more often than before.
    Did the update and/or the FlashMemory plugin change anything in the behavior or frequency of accessing the HDD?

Quickly summarized it's like this.
    Before the update:
    - Logging into the WebGUI does not spin-up the disk
    - Reading SMART values through the WebGUI does not spin-up the disk
    - After accessing a share on the data disk the system parks the head a few seconds after the last access and spins-down the disk some seconds later

After the update:
    - Logging into the WebGUI does occasionally spins-up the disk
    - Reading SMART values through the WebGUI occasionally spins-up the disk
    - Sometimes, after logging into the WebGUI or accessing a share on the data disk the system parks the head a few seconds after the last access, unparks it and accesses the disk, parks it, unparks it, ... This keeps on going on repeatedly. The only way to stop it is to log into the WebGUI, go to Storage => Physical Disks => Edit Disk Properties => Change the Spindown Time from 5 min to 10 min => click "save" => Change the Spindown from 10 min back to 5 min again => click "save" and "apply". After this the disk spins down again a few moments after applying the changes.

I know that for some reason my HDD does not use the spindown value I set in the WebGUI (and WD tells me they can't help me with this issue as I'm using the drive with Linux). But I managed to reduce the disk writes for backups to a minimum so it's okay for me if the disk stays spun down most of the time the BanaNAS is running. This way the physical stress on the disk as well as the energy consumption is reduced quite much.

If after the update the disk stays spun up for a period of time without me detecting it the head always parks/unparks which unnecessarily stresses the disk and consumes more energy - which i both don't want.

So maybe one of you could tell if either the update or the FlashMemory plugin could be the root of the spinups of the disk.
    Thank you for any help.

Best regards.

OMV 1.19 (OMV-Extras.org 1.34) | BanaNAS | 16GB microSD (using FlashMemory plugin) | 1TB SATA WD Blue Mobile

• Offizieller Beitrag

Flashmemory just moves the logging to ram instead of your sd card. I have no idea how it could cause your data drive to spin up. It doesn't even know about your data drive. Are you sure didn't install a different update or another plugin?

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ...Are you sure didn't install a different update or another plugin?

Thank you for your kind reply, Aaron. I definitely don't want to blame your great plugin ;)

Is there any log I can look into in regards of the last updates that have been done on the system? If I think about a bit deeper you might be right and I could have updated some other components/plugins - especially the ProFTPD as there has been a security issue with the version I had installed.

OMV 1.19 (OMV-Extras.org 1.34) | BanaNAS | 16GB microSD (using FlashMemory plugin) | 1TB SATA WD Blue Mobile

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are using ftp, I guess that update could have changed something. Hard to say. What plugins do you use?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• If you are using ftp, I guess that update could have changed something. Hard to say. What plugins do you use?

As I'm not on the OMV right now I'll try naming the services and plugins ad-hoc:
    - FTP service (active)
    - AFP (with netatalk plugin I think) service (active)
    - SMB/CIFS service (active)
    - Flash Memory (active)
    - Backup (active)
    - Extplorer (active)
    - Greyhole (not active)
    - WOL (not active)

I can do a proper listing when I get physical access to the system in a few hours.

The ProFTPD update really seemed to have an impact on the system as it seems I'm often not able to reach it from outside (with proxy) anymore (which worked flawlessly before the update using this how-to here: http://phpbb.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3205).

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von root2 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is ftp exposed to the internet? Maybe a client system is trying to access afp/smb?

• Is ftp exposed to the internet? Maybe a client system is trying to access afp/smb?

Yes the FTP is exposed but the share is on the microSD card.
    AFP/SMB is not exposed and as I altered the settings (Spindown Time) I also checked possible active clients for all services but no client was connected.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe try disabling all services using that data drive. See if it spins down correctly. If it does, add one service at a time back to see which one is causing problem.

• Sounds like a plan. Luckily I just made a complete SD Image right before the update so I can revert to that state if needed.
    I'll keep this thread updated in case I have any news.

• A quick update to tell what I found out so far:

I got ProFTPD working with some clients again by adding

Code
    <IfModule mod_facts.c>
        FactsAdvertise off
    </IfModule>

to my proftpd.conf.

But this doesn't work for every client. FileZilla (Windows) and AndFTP (Android) don't seem to get a proper listing of the files and folders. FileZilla still uses MLSD instead of LIST and stops working after the command. I created a FileZilla log here: http://sprunge.us/EDDi
    Maybe one of the Devs can have a look at it and provide some help what might go wrong here.
    But as FTPDs share is mounted on the microSD Card this service was not the root cause for the spinups.

Re-enabling SMB did not spinup the disk occasionally but only when needed. It also spins the disk down as it should. So no problems here I guess.

Re-enabling AFP did change the behavior in combination with the TimeMachineEditor I use on my Hackintosh:
    As I'm no big fan of hourly backups of my Hackintosh I decided to give the TimeMachineEditor a chance and set it up to only do backups twice a week in the evening hours. The tool itself works well and it starts the backup jobs as scheduled. But when OS X starts the backup it seems to mount the TimeMachine share into the file system and keeps it mounted after the backup job is done. Furthermore OS X seems to perform periodical checks (reads/writes) on the mounted drives - including network drives. This might have been the root cause that was behind my issue. The strange thing is that the Hackintosh didn't show up in the services as a connected device/user.

I'll keep on watching this issue and report back if there's something new.

So far thank you aaron for pointing me in the right direction.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von root2 ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!