rsync backing up important files

• Hi,
    I am new to the NAS world and planning to build my NAS soon.
    (see other post First build)

I was planning to do the next HDD setup:
    4x 3TB in raid 5
    1x SSD for OS
    But on the forum davidh2k told me “Just don't mistake RAID with Backup”.
    It set me thinking..........

So my questions is rsync the solution?
    Would the next setup be more secure and a logical solution?
    4x 3TB in raid 5 (When running out of space, growing the raid array with a other 3TB drive)
    1x 3TB for backing up important files form raid 5 array with rsync
    1x SSD for OS

Can you guys give me your advice.

Thanks
    Nills

• From your post I gather that you don't care much about your video collection (and are not angry if the raid breaks irreversable) and just want to backup your documents to a backup disk?

Sounds like a fine solution to me. @Dennis may say "drop the raid then, and simply use single disks", but thats up to you.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• 4x 3TB in raid 5 (When running out of space, growing the raid array with a other 3TB drive)
    1x 3TB for backing up important files form raid 5 array with rsync

Thats exactly the way I do it. Except the different HDD sizes. I have a RAID 5 for availibility and one external HDD where I backup the important stuff once a day.

• Thats exactly the way I do it. Except the different HDD sizes. I have a RAID 5 for availibility and one external HDD where I backup the important stuff once a day.

With external HDD, you mean by usb?
    Is this the best way to go? Is a extra HDD in the case (nas) no option?
    And any proposal for different HDD sizes?

Yup. Why RAID?

Well.....
    I thought that raid 5 is pretty secure and in raid 5 the chance of breaking the raid are pretty slim.
    But if it so happens i don't care if i lose my movies (the total size is too large to backup in my opinion) and time machine backups, ....
    Other data I only store on the nas on the other hand, that certainly requires a backup.

But if you don't recommend raid 5 or any form of raid? what is your proposal?

• Raid is about availabily. Backup is about Security. When you don't Backup your Data, your Data is not important. When it's not important, you don't need availabily. :D

I do not Backup my mediaserver.
    On my dataserver I'm doing internal read-only Backups and offside-backups.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!