Another Linux noob breaking permissions

• I was playing around with Deluge trying to get my folders set up, and I renamed them all via Windows Explorer through Samba. Since then, I haven't been able to add a torrent to Deluge (permissions error), nor can I open the folder in Windows Explorer any more. I've tried using the "Reset Permissions" tool on the "Shared Folders" tab to no avail. I'm sure this is a case of my inexperience with Linux rather than a fault of OMV, but it's a bit frustrating and has me considering a Windows based server until I have more time to play in a VM. Can anybody save me from this fate?

• If you create files and folders with the Sabmba/CIFS plugin it will create them with your username as the owner and the default group users if I recall correctly. I don't use Deluge but I suspect it is running as it's own user and needs write access to the files and folders you are sharing with it. You could try adding deluge to the users group. You can also try adding read/write to the deluge user ID under privileges for the shared folder. It could be several things. If you can login with SSH to your OMV machine can you tell us the output of the folder you are sharing with deluge by typing ls -lAth as root.

• If you create files and folders with the Sabmba/CIFS plugin it will create them with your username as the owner and the default group users if I recall correctly. I don't use Deluge but I suspect it is running as it's own user and needs write access to the files and folders you are sharing with it. You could try adding deluge to the users group. You can also try adding read/write to the deluge user ID under privileges for the shared folder. It could be several things. If you can login with SSH to your OMV machine can you tell us the output of the folder you are sharing with deluge by typing ls -lAth as root.

Thanks for taking your time. I believe I understood how making changes using Samba could have reassigned ownership of the files. I believed I had corrected that using chown to reassign the owner/group to root and then later to the deluge-daemon user, and neither of those seemed to work. Maybe I should mention that these are subfolders of my OMV share. I did not believe it necessary to add a share for each and every subfolder; as long as the parent is shared, that is sufficient, correct? Here's the output of that command based on the current state:

Code
    drwxrwsrwx    2 deluge-daemon users 4.0K Jun  1 22:37 Torrents
    drwxrwsr-x 4585 root          users 236K Jun  1 15:10 Incomplete

The Incomplete folder is the one giving me a problem. As I mentioned, I had previously set the owner to deluge-daemon (as you can see is the default with the Torrents folder created by Deluge) without success. Also, if I'm accessing the Samba shares through a user in the users group, shouldn't that allow me access to at least browse the folder?

• Can you provide the output of ls -la /media and ls -la of the shared folder? Sorry it is my habit of using lAth which does not show . and .. Have you tried using the -R flag on the Incomplete folder? chown -R deluge-daemon:users Incomplete That will recursively set the permissions on the files/folder and sub folders contents.

• Can you provide the output of ls -la /media and ls -la of the shared folder? Sorry it is my habit of using lAth which does not show . and .. Have you tried using the -R flag on the Incomplete folder? chown -R deluge-daemon:users Incomplete That will recursively set the permissions on the files/folder and sub folders contents.

Yes, I did use the -R argument every time when changing ownership of the directory. I won't have access to the OMV machine for a little while, but I will try to provide the output as requested. In the mean time, I am going to play around with Windows Server for a day or two, since I've never even tried a Windows server product.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!