OMV on Azure

• Hello guys,

Quick question for you.

I have got OMV running on Microsoft Azure for quite a while (3+ weeks).
    I had absolutely no issue with that and i switched between different VM sizes with no issues at all.
    With the network ACL i can control the endpoints exposure and allow acces just to myself.

To do that so did create the VM in Hyper-V and then uploaded the data drives and the OS drive to an Azure storage account.

Suddenly, last weekend, I have lost access to the VM, even after allowing all traffic I still cannot reach the VM on any port.
    I have therefore downloaded the VHDs and created a Hyper-V VM; in this case everything works as it should.
    This confirms the system is fine and the issue is specific to this VHD running on Azure.

I was suspecting a networking issue (such as the VM not getting a private IP from the Azure DHCP), therefore, after downloading the VHD i looked into the /var/log directory hoping for hints.

Here in the boot log I found:

Code
    Tue Jun  2 09:58:05 2015: Cannot find device "eth0"
    Tue Jun  2 09:58:05 2015: Bind socket to interface: No such device
    Tue Jun  2 09:58:05 2015: Failed to bring up eth0.

This explains why the public IP was reachable but the requests, once forwarded to the VM, were timing out.
    When running on Hyper-V, instead, eth0 is found and is brought up.

Now, given in Azure there no console access, I need to solely rely on logs to troubleshoot this further.

I'm wondering, is there any log that shows me what devices are discovered during the boot?
    I can't rely on lshw as I have no SSH or console access (given an IP is not assigned tp OMV) and must only rely on logs.
    Perhaps the NIC may not be called anymore eth0 and may be identified as p4s1 or something else; so, if I manage to find this out I may just add an entry on the /etc/network/interfaces in Hyper-V and then re-upload the VHD.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tommy

HP MicroServer Gen 8
    HP DL360e Gen 8 + HP StorageWorks D2700

HP DL380e Gen 8 + HP StorageWorks D2600

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the type and mac address of the network adapter the same on azure? If not, delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules before moving it. The newly detected adapter would be eth0 instead of eth1 (which will have no settings).

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi @ryecoaaron,

The adapter type is the same, the MAC (as well as the IP config) won't be the same instead.

What I do not understand is why with the same config (originally I did not remove the file you highlighted) it worked for weeks.

I will try the procedure you suggested and will keep you posted :)

HP MicroServer Gen 8
    HP DL360e Gen 8 + HP StorageWorks D2700

HP DL380e Gen 8 + HP StorageWorks D2600

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!