[Solved] Reassigning disk labels / how do you identify your disks?

• Just in the middle of setting up the ZFS array on my new box and after some input on disk labels.

With just the OS drive plugged in, it was assigned sda.

Now I am greeted with this mess with all the Seagates in:

What's the best way to reassign labels so I have the Kingston SSD where the OS is as sda and sdb to sdi as the array drives and keep them persistent?

It's not something that I have bothered with in the past as the zpool is by id anyway, but now I have more drives I want to label them in the chassis and have that in order.

Edit: ok, forget persistent naming in the form of sdx.

What I am trying to archieve is a way to identify disks quickly in the event of a faliure. I wanted to label the front of each of the drive bays in the chassis sda, sdb, sdc etc. but this doesn't look like it would be much help at all.

I was thinking of labelling them by serial number then using smartctl or the OMV interface to identify the failed disks identifier then lookup the serial number so I would know what drive to grab.

I was also thinking of something like the hardware/serial ID... Maybe I should change my original question to:

How do others easily identify their drives?

• Right, well after thinking about the best way to do this, I have decided to label the front of each drive with it's serial number.

This information is shown at the end of the drive ID when a zpool status is issued, so should be easy to identify when one fails.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!