NAS and HTPC combined using a parallel installation of OMV and Kodi (XBMC)

• Hey!

I'm new to OMV and about to build my first NAS system. Since I also want to use this system as a HTPC I'd like to know what the best way of realizing a parallel installation of OMV and Kodi is. This question has been already discussed here [https://debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=150766], too. The hardware I'm (most likely) going to use is also very similar to what the asker in the above thread mentioned.

As I understand, there are two ways of doing this:
    1) Install OMV as base OS and then compile and install Kodi and all its dependencies and video drivers: Kodi (formerly XBMC) for OMV
    2) Install Debian Wheezy as base OS and then install OMV and Kodi onto that: Howto install OpenMediaVault on Debian 7.x (Wheezy)

I identified the following up- and downsides of these approaches:
    1) Ending up with a standard OMV installation, it will be easy for me to follow other tutorials about OMV. Updates of OMV and the installation if plugins should work well, too. However, I have no idea how to update and maintain the Kodi installation. Quite a number of people seem to experience challenges as early as with the installation of Kodi itself, judging by the thread mentioned above. Furthermore, there a no replies to these inquiries which leads to the conclusion that not many people have choosen this approach.
    2) Installing Kodi on a running Debian Wheezy system seems somewhat to be a common and easy thing. Also I wouldn't have to deal with the manual installation of audio and video drivers. On the other hand, I would end up with a "abnormal" installation of OMV, I guess. Thus, I fear that grading and backing up OMV will be prone to failure.

Edit: A third way may be to run Kodi in a virtual machine on OMV, but I have no idea if that's any good in terms of performance...

Can someone tell me which one of these approaches is the better one? Maybe there is also another option? Is it even a good idea in general to mix up NAS and HTCP / OMV and Kodi or should I use a Raspberry Pi instead to run Kodi in the first place?

Thanks a lot for your help!

• Is it even a good idea in general to mix up NAS and HTCP / OMV and Kodi or should I use a Raspberry Pi instead to run Kodi in the first place?

Most of the users here will suggest you to use it just as NAS. As you have an RasPi layin around, use this one for Kodi / Openelec or similar. You could also just buy a FireTV stick and stream via Plex or Kodi. No matter how you do it, the better solution is to have those two things split apart.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!