Unable to grow EXT3 FS after RAID 5 Expansion

• Hi folks

I had a 4 disk RAID 5 array which had a single EXT3 file system on it that housed all my shared folders.

I recently added a 5th drive to the array, and successfully reshaped the array overnight.

When I try to resize the file system through the GUI, and after clicking "do you really want to..." confirmation dialog box - nothing happens. The file system remains the same size.

I am OK on the CLI, and have a reasonable, but basic understanding of Linux systems and specifically RAID.

On doing a tonne of searching around (before posting here) I found a number of things to try but didn't make any progress.

I am not sure what sysinfo to post, so will include what I most commonly saw asked for. I would appreciate any guidance / help.

System Info:

RAID Info:

Block Devices

File System

• Shouldn't you grow the lvm first before attempting to grow the fs?

That would be something I don't know. I did all of this through the GUI, and so once the RAID array was expanded to include the new disk, and reshaping was done, I used the File System tab to attempt to grow it.

Is there something I should/could do in the CLI to fix this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You set up your array in the beginning and then gave it a LVM format and you don't know what you did?

How's is this possible?, i don't personally use LVM i will have to go to the virtual machine, but i am pretty sure it has a LVM grow button.

LVM is format that goes in before the FS, it allows to resize partitions in a logical way, avoiding the restrictions of the typical hard drive partitions boundaries and having to move data across to allocate space.

Your blkid indicates you have LVM signature there, so you probably need to install the LVM plugin to expand the volume groups and logical partitions.

• Subzero79 is right.

You need to grow your volume in LVM first and then you can grow the ext3.

Commandline:

Code
    [root@tng3-1 ~]# lvextend -l +100%FREE  /dev/mapper/1tb_sata_raid5-samba_share

After that you need to resize your ext3 with:

Code
    resize2fs /dev/mapper/1tb_sata_raid5-samba_share

That should do the job.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Well a HUGE thank you to you guys for your help - awesome support thanks.

Installed the LVM plugin, expanded the physical and logical volumes and then the FS expand worked perfectly.

All this reminded me, this was in fact a RAID array that was originally created in OpenFiler, and imported when I moved to OMV a long, long time ago. That would explain why it's not typical.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!