enabling plexmediaserver makes OMV GUI unresponsive

• Yes, it causes problems with other things too. I can find one issue from just the other day. But should not something be changed with the samba plugin to prevent this?

I deleted that post Aaron. Yeah, I saw you modified. I've noticed over the last week people are screwing things up by sharing the root of their drive.

• Aaron, see here:

Error #6000: exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to create the directory...

I would like to see his other shared folders/samba shares and use of ACL on this drive. If he created what he thought was a shared folder when creating a samba share and then applied acl he could have fragged all the shared folders on the drive. This is not the fault of the plex plugin.

The root shared folder has caused shitloads of problems. This is what should be fixed or a warning. People do not know WTF they are doing.

• http://i.imgur.com/DofGXDH.png

Last login: Tue Jun 9 20:18:00 2015 from localhost
    root@OMV:~# cd /media/f4a1-xxx-6757/
    root@OMV:/media/f4a1-xxx-6757# ls -la
    total 68
    drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 Mar 27 15:47 .
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Nov 19 2014 ..
    drwxrwsr-x 2 root users 6 Nov 19 2014 8tbjbod
    drwxrwsrwx+ 14 calibre users 4096 Jun 9 14:11 Backup
    drwxrwsrwx+ 8 root users 4096 Apr 25 15:07 Download
    drwxrwsrwx 42 root users 4096 Nov 23 2014 Games
    drwxrwsrwx+ 434 root users 16384 May 23 12:37 Music
    drwxrwxrwx 15 root root 4096 Apr 7 10:47 omvbackup
    drwxrwsrwx+ 80 root users 4096 Jun 4 08:18 Photos
    drwxrwxrwx 3 plex nogroup 20 Nov 22 2014 plexmediaserver
    drwxrwsrwx+ 18 root users 4096 Jun 1 23:14 Video
    drwxrws---+ 2 vbox vboxusers 6 Mar 30 20:43 VMs

root@OMV:/media/f4a1-xxx-6757# cd ..
    root@OMV:/media# ls -la
    total 20
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Nov 19 2014 .
    drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Jun 3 10:17 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 18 2014 cdrom
    drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 Mar 27 15:47 f4a1-xxx-6757
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Nov 18 2014 usb -> usb0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 18 2014 usb0
    root@OMV:/media#

I have used ACL before to give read+write permissions [+] Replace all existing permissions [+] recursively apply to all files and subfolders
    to a few system users(+services) and general users(+services)
    i.e. when eXtplorer fails to move files between 2 of these shared folders, I use ACL to (re-)give eXtplorer all permissions to these shares
    I have most probably also used ACL to give sickbeard and syncthing permissions

• Akeem, I was looking for this in the root of your data drive:

drwxrwsr-x 16 root users 4096 May 10 00:25 .

If you look at the link in my 2nd post from the top the zios guy shared the root of his data drive. When you do this it will mess up the privileges and acls on the data for share that may have been created normally via shared folders, and then possibly shared with SMB/CIFS.

You are overkill on acl. We need to go over this. You should try to use privilege instead of ACL. ACL should be a last resort.

• Aaron, there is a process that is not killed by the invoke-rc.d plexmediaserver stop, bootstrap.py. After the invoke stop I killed this by user to be sure plex user was free. This was causing the problems and the fact that the plex user's home directory was being moved by the if then statement. The usermod command was not even being run because of this. There was a lock on the plex user. The dbfolder was being moved by your if then statment, not usermod. This is also why the plex user's home directory was not getting updated. The plexmediaserver folder had the wrong ownership too (root:root not plex:nogroup). When moved by usermod it always has the original plex:nogroup ownership.

Plex Plug-in [com.plexapp.system]
    /media/8f1f9ebe-6090-4dff-8222-ca72471a364c/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/
    Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Versions/2/Python/
    bootstrap.py
    --server-version 0.9.12.1.1079-b655370
    /media/8f1f9ebe-6090-4dff-8222-ca72471a364c/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/
    Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/System.bundle

• I moved the usermod command up to your where you checked for the library. You can run the usermmod command in that if then statement. It is working well.

:):):)

PS- Tested with double pipe colon put back in and working perfect. The double pipe colon was not the issue.

• tekbb,

Thank you for your continued efforts.
    This weekend, I'll read up on the thread you mentioned and try to use privileges instead of ACL to solve my problems.

I think I have
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Nov 19 2014 .
    instead of
    drwxrwsr-x 16 root users 4096 May 10 00:25 .
    of @zios007
    so probably the problem you described didn't exactly apply to me.

• @ryecoaaronnullAdded double pipe colon after the pkill command line too.

Adjusted mkconf script so it will take into account adjustment to plex user if the plex group is added as primary and nogroup removed by Christian Svedin's script.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Were you waiting for a comment from me?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Nope, but anyone that wants to change database location to a different data disk or are upgrading to a plex pass package from Christian should replace the contents of this file /usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/plexmediaserver with the contents I posted above.

I tested it on 3 vms, 2 bare metal (1 with plex group) and 1 RPi 2.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So make the change on github and I will push a release.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!