Supermicro X10SRi-F

• That's in my earlier post(s).....

Zitat

At first the 3x DELL H310 cards were flashed in IT mode with P19 firmware.

Zitat

Oh yeah, I downgraded the cards from P19 to P16 by the way.....

In the log file too.....

• Well I have done some digging and I'm not really sure what the problem could be. I also looked up the message: "DXE 91" which is not really an error. This is part of the boot process and this code means: "Driver connecting is started". I am beginning to think you may have a faulty card on your hands. I would try to eliminate the card that may be causing the problem. Here is some suggestions you can try. I know it will take some time to do it but I think this is your best option to rule out any hardware issues.

Install a single card and test it in each slot 3,4, and 6. Start with the card currently in slot 3. Run the sasircu list and display 0 commands. See if you get the errors you were seeing before. Check the log as well. If you see the delay you mentioned before, I think your safe to say that is your culprit.
    Repeat the step above with each card.

Try it with 2 cards in slots 3 and 4. Use cards that were in slot 3 and 4. Run the sasircu list and display 0 and 1 commands.
    Try it with 2 cards in slots 3 and 6. Use cards that were in slot 3 and 4. Repeat
    Try it with 2 cards in slots 4 and 6. Use cards that were in slot 3 and 4. Repeat

Try it with 2 cards in slots 3 and 4. Use cards that were in slot 3 and 6. Run the sasircu list and display 0 and 1 commands.
    Try it with 2 cards in slots 3 and 6. Use cards that were in slot 3 and 6. Repeat
    Try it with 2 cards in slots 4 and 6. Use cards that were in slot 3 and 6. Repeat

The only thing I can suggest with all 3 cards installed is to check if your booting in legacy BIOS or or EFI. If your running legacy BIOS, try turning off functions you don't need like PXE boot for example. You may be filling up the Option ROM allocation table. I don't think this is the case but I wouldn't rule it out either.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this helps. If you still run into the same problem then I am at a loss.

• First, thanks for everyone's help so far. :thumbup:

Second, I've done a little more spelunking myself. 8) Before I try the tests you've suggested, I'm gonna' explain what I did that SEEMS to have resolved my issues for now. Time will tell for certain. I'm going to explain this in long form for the benefit of others who might stumble upon this post later on.

#######Ensure that you've flashed the latest BIOS and IPMI firmware to the motherboard first########

1. Make a simple, plain vanilla DOS bootable USB flash drive
    2. Download and copy the 6gbpsas.zip file attached to this post.
    3. Rename 6gbpsas.zip to 6gbpsas.fw
    4. Copy 6gbpsas.fw to the USB drive
    5. Go to LSI/Avago's site and dig thru the archived firmware versions for "LSI SAS 9211-8i " hardware.
    6. Download the "SAS9211-8i_P5" firmware update package (we need the P5 version of "sas2flsh.exe" for DOS in it)
    7. Extract the "SAS9211-8i_P5.zip" from step 6.
    8. Locate "sas2flsh" in the files/directories extracted from SAS9211-8i_P5.zip. (For me this was in \SAS2FLASH\sas2flash_dos_rel\sas2flsh.exe )
    9. get this file from ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/drive…rmware/IT/PH16.0.1-IT.zip (in case this link ever breaks it's Supermicro's P16 firmware package for their cards that use the same LSI 2008 chip that the Dell h310's use)
    10. extract all the files from the "PH16.0.1-IT.zip" to the USB drive EXCEPT for "sas2flsh.exe"
    11. Boot from the USB drive

########### You should stop here and obtain the SAS card's address only
    ########### in the case that you ever want to put it back to it's stock form.
    ########### HINT: one way to do this is with sas2ircu in linux

12. sas2flsh -o -e 7 (Completely wipes the card's flash ROM)
    13. sas2flsh -o -f 6gbpsas.fw (flashes the dell firmware to facilitate flashing the LSI firmware later)
    14. sas2flsh -o -sasadd xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (where x's equal your card's real SAS address)

### Step 14 may be redundant and therefore omitted since step 18 essentially does the same thing?
    ### I didn't try it without this step, but maybe you can?)

15. reboot (to ensure the flash takes effect)
    16. sas2flsh -o -f 2008IT16.ROM (this flashes the LSI firmware)
    17. sas2flsh -b mptsas2.rom (this flashes the LSI BIOS)

# Step 17 may be omitted if you don't want BIOS on your card's, I did want BIOS on mine but, to each his own

18. sas2flsh -o -sasaddhi 5003048 (this flashes a "half-fake" SAS address with a Supermicro prefix. You'll be prompted for the last nine characters of yours if you chose to take this step. Otherwise, this step can be omitted as well.)

For now all the oddities I saw in sas2ircu and the weird stuff in the kernel logs and the pausing and all that stuff has stopped. So, like I said before time will tell if I've really fixed it or not.

• Ok I've discovered that "sas2ircu 0 display" won't show me any disks attached to that controller with the stock 3.2.0-4-amd64 kernel. However, they do all show up under "Physical Disks" in the web UI. On the other hand, if I boot the backports kernel "sas2ircu 0 display" works just fine and show me all the disks attached.

I guess if I wanna' use sas2ircu I'll need to stay on the backports kernel then. So, if i'm doing that I'll need the iscsitarget sources from jessie.

I guess i just gotta' install build-essential, wget http://http.debian.net/debian/…4.20.3+svn502.orig.tar.gz , "tar -zxvf" it, then make, make install? Right? Wrong?

Also, this won't give me any of the stuff that the web UI needs though. Is there a way to make the web UI work with these compiled and installed sources?

Finally, what about updates from the web UI? Will that break anything?

• Glad to hear you got it working :thumbup: I do have to apologize as I thought you had already moved to the 3.16 kernel. I would recommend you stay on the back ports kernel as well. As for the iSCSI half I cannot speak on it. The plugin won't interface with the compiled sources. As long as you remove the iscsi plugin if it is installed, you shouldn't have any update issues but don't take my word for it. ;) Good luck and let us know how your testing progresses.

• Zitat

I do have to apologize as I thought you had already moved to the 3.16 kernel.

No biggie. It was back on the first page, 'bout half way down. ;) I just
    wanted to to save myself the work of compiling the iscsitarget stuff and
    have it just work with the standard 3.2.0 ISO/kernel. I rolled the dice
    to see what would happen. Snakeeyes.

Zitat

I installed from the linked 3.16 ISO. After that, I installed sas2ircu
    from http://hwraid.le-vert.net/wiki/DebianPackages. Then, I upgraded
    everything that the GUI presented me with.

So, who has some ideas about the iScsi stuff? Aaron? Subzero? Anyone?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't tried iscsi (don't use it) on the 3.16 kernel in a long time.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did it have any errors in the build? It should produce a couple .deb files to install.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yep there's errors...

Do I have to pull in the kernel branch too or something? My git-fu is not very strong. :/

• I figured it out. The pre-reqs should have been....

It built a "iscsitarget_1.4.20.3+svn502-2_amd64.deb" and a "iscsitarget-dkms_1.4.20.3+svn502-2_all.deb".

I assume I should just "dpkg -i" these, "nano /etc/default/iscsitarget", nano /etc/iet/ietd.conf and, /etc/init.d/iscsitarget start ??

• Ok. Thanks. I was under the impression that you couldn't install the plugin because it would also try to install all the kernel modules and stuff for the non-backports kernel.

At any rate I've got the iscsi and lvm2 plugins installed now. Once my RMA'ed drives come back from WD I'll try setting up the RAID array/LVM/iSCSI LUN and try actually reading/writing some data to this thing and see if anything breaks.

I'll be sure to post back here again if I need anymore help or if I discover anything worth sharing. Thanks everyone.

:thumbup:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!