Can't write files to NTFS share

• Hi!

I recently switched over from FreeNAS to OMV (I found out, that I just like Linux better than BSD..), and so far I'm really happy with my decision.
    But somehow I have some problems with setting up my NTFS disk as a SMB share...

The harddisk is mounted with full privileges (777), and is completely accessible locally - There seems to be no problem with copying files from and to it (locally or logged in trough SSH). The SMB Shares should also be set up correctly (no problem to read/write to another disk, running ETX4), but somehow I can't write files to the NTFS-Share ("insufficient rights")

The strange thing is, I CAN delete files from the disk - so I seem to HAVE write access... I just can't create/copy new ones to the share using SMB.
    I thought the problem might be within the creation mask or something, but changing that to 0777 doesn't help either.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? - I'm really running out of ideas here... :(

I've added my the smb.conf right below - If you need me to post another config-file, just ask.

thanks in advance!

• thanks for the hint!

Since in the ACL window of this particular shared folder, the read/write box for my user "myUser" is not checked, this might in fact be the reason for my problem.
    But when I try to activate the read/write box for my user and save the permissions, I just get the following error message:
    "setfacl: /media/A0A2FD44A4AD1C1C////: Operation not supported"

The same thing works fine with my ext4 share.. so I guess the webinterface just doesn't work with the NTFS permission system.

But since permission for user, group and anybody are correctly shown as "read/write" in the ACL window of my NTFS-Share, I figured this should actually be working... :(

• hm.. that really doesn't sounds too good :(

But if this is just a problem with NTFS permissions, why can I write files to the disk when I log in directly (command line) - This works as root AND as "myUser" without any problems..
    Or does just samba need those ACL rights set correctly, and the command line doesn't?

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "sly1000"

But if this is just a problem with NTFS permissions, why can I write files to the disk when I log in directly (command line) - This works as root AND as "myUser" without any problems..
    Or does just samba need those ACL rights set correctly, and the command line doesn't?

in this case something with the smb config must cause the problem.

Maybe you can try out these settings:

Current:
    inherit acls = yes
    inherit permissions = no

disable inherit acl and enable inherit permisssions via webgui for the given share. i'm no smb expert, thus my support in this case is limited.

• actually that seems to help a little bit: I now can copy SMALL files to the share (tried with some 1 or 3 KB)... but bigger files (tried with 10 - 30 mb) still don't work... (but again, on the ext4 share both works perfectly)

the problem is, that I simply can't think of any config-option of samba, that could cause such a strange behavior:
    -> the filesystem permissions seem to be ok (I can write!)
    -> the basic setup of samba itself seems to be fine too (everything works with ext4 shares)

=> so the problem can either be within the configuration of the ntfs-share itself, or with the implemented communication between smb and the ntfs-package

could this have to do with "Asynchronous IO" - I already had problems with that on another machine.. but only when I tried to copy 2 files simultaneously, which isn't the case here - but the error-description (permission denied when writing files) would fit. ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!