openmediavault

The open network attached storage solution

News

• New

Just getting into folder permissions and I have a few questions so far.
    When adding a shared folder I have to set its basic permissions of owner/group/others. That is clear. Right after creating the folder I can go to ACL extra options. Do these options correspond to what I've setup when adding the folder? So I could for example change the folder group here from users to lets say 'mediaUsers' and give all of them the permission they should have? Am I correct?

I furtheremore noticed that I somehow cant access a folder via SMB share what I have read/write privileges for. As soon as I grant myself execution privileges, I can. Could anyone explain that behavior?

Thanks! :)

EDIT:

So for what do U guys actually use the privileges Button? I read many of you are using only that, but that means that you must grant everyone all privileges on system permission level don't you? Wouldn't it be way more secure to grant only the privileges needed for every user/group on system level?

Example1:…
  • New

Hi,
    Having used proxmox (at work) and OMV (at home) for a while, I would like to add a virtualized Linux box in my OMV NAS. For specific reason, I cannot use Docker. So, initially, I thought to keep OMV as the main OS and to add LXC/LXD into it, so as to add one or two containers (I won't need more). Thus, OMV would be the one responsible for all data backups, including of the containers.

But I also saw that a few (many?) here are using proxmox as raw OS, and OMV as a container in it...

For those who have choosen either way:
    - Are there big advantages or drawback of chosing either way (OMV as a container, or OMV as plain-vanilly OS) ?
    - If you run OMV as a container in LXC/LXD or in proxmox, what is your backup strategy? Is Proxmox in charge of the backups, or OMV, or a mix of both?
    - If you run OMV as a container in LXC/LXD or in proxmox, how do you install it (notably for partitioning) and what is your OMV system disk?

Thanks for your ideas and times!
    Regards
  • New

Hi,
    I have two shared folders, say /main and /secondary, and I would like to symlink folders /secondary/videos and /secondary/programs into /main. I tried to use the symlinks plugin, but it rejects my entries when I do so. If I manually create the symlinks, then when I try to apply any change to sharedfolders, I will get an error message saying /main sharedfolder cannot be unmount. Removing the manually created symlink solve the "cannot unmount" problem, so I'm back to starting point :).

Looking at /etc/systemd/system/sharedfolders-[xxx].mount, I guess there is some kind of conflict (order & depedencies) between sharedfolders.

Should I use as source for the symlinks the "raw" folder under /srv/disk-by-label-XXX/ ? Technically, I think that would work but functionally it breaks the concept of abstraction offered by the sharedfolder layer...

How should I proceed to get what I would like?
    Thank you for your help!

Unread Threads

Topic Replies Last Reply

omv-confdbadm: command not found

Erikk

Folder permissions, ACL, again

HannesJo

No gui (error 500) after update

IhorPr

OMV not starting

Blebbens

motioneye not working

gderf

Recent Activities

• Erikk -

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x (beta) omv-confdbadm: command not found.

Quote from GuyFromMars: “@Erikk This is what I got: Shell-Script (3 lines)” Well, seems it still wants to know the path to omv-stuff... Ok, try to add '/usr/sbin' into your PATH environment variable Shell-Script (1 line)Then run 'omv-confdbadm…
  • HannesJo -

Liked Adoby’s post in the thread OMV 4.x Folder permissions, ACL, again.

Like (Post)
    None of your examples seem to need any use of ACLs, just the old traditional mechanisms for access rights. Just assign the right ownerships, group memberships and access rights, and you are done. But then I don't use Windows or CIFS, so I could be…
  • HannesJo -

Liked Adoby’s post in the thread OMV 4.x Folder permissions, ACL, again.

Like (Post)
    I use the OMV GUI to add or modify users and groups and group memberships. I use the command line or Midnight Commander to set owner and access rights on files and folders, other than the OMV defaults. If I really need to. I very rarely need to. I have…
  • HannesJo -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Folder permissions, ACL, again.

Quote from macom: “Shared folders have owner "root" and group "users" when created in the GUI of OMV. Users are members of the group "users" when created in the GUI of OMV. So for SMB and other services it is enough to use privileges, to give the…
  • IhorPr -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Update No gui (error 500) after update.

dpkg -l | grep openm ii openmediavault 4.1.23-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 …
  • Adoby -

I use the OMV GUI to add or modify users and groups and group memberships. I use the command line or Midnight Commander to set owner and access rights on files and folders, other than the OMV defaults. If I really need to. I very rarely need to. I have…
  • macom -

Shared folders have owner "root" and group "users" when created in the GUI of OMV. Users are members of the group "users" when created in the GUI of OMV. So for SMB and other services it is enough to use privileges, to give the users read/write or only…
  • macom -

I assume you have seen this thread: No gui (error 500) after upgrade From the mentioned steps in that thread: which have you done and what was the result?
  • HannesJo -

Quote from Adoby: “None of your examples seem to need any use of ACLs, just the old traditional mechanisms for access rights. Just assign the right ownerships, group memberships and access rights, and you are done. But then I don't use Windows or…
  • IhorPr -

I did it, also I used safari and chrome, but it's did not help me