openmediavault

The open network attached storage solution

News

• New

i try to fix some omv errors and want to read samba logs.. - as defined in smb.conf -> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    but samba create files in /var/log/samba/log.ipaddress with a leght of 0
    i found that there is a buggy entry "logging=syslog" which depends on that.

You can use syslog... or logfiles like these in /var/log/samba/ ... but if you set both, that will go wrong!
    the problem is..."logging=syslog" and the logs are hardcoded strings in /usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/samba.d/10global
    Now i removed the buggy "logging=syslog" and all things fine. so please - on the next omv4 update, fix that.
    i don't want to fear the next update... and do it all again...
  • New

Hello again!

I am trying to set up a datapool for my two SD cards with Union Filesystems, but the plugin crashes every time I am trying to transfer data to the pool. The SD cards are connected via two different USB-ports on my Rock64. In the future, the two SD cards are going to be replaced with two HDDs, but in the meanwhile I am just playing around.

This is what I do:
    - Mount the to SD cards --> named "ALPHA" & "BRAVO"
    - Create a pool with the UnionFS plugin (version 4.0.2) (Create policy: Most free space.) --> named "DATAPOOL"
    - Create a shared folder connected to the pool --> named "ALLDISKS"
    - Give user1 read/write-permissions to "ALLDISKS"
    - Share the folder "ALLDISKS" with Samba
    - Trying to transfer some data to the shared folder via my Windows computer
    - This error shows up in the WebGUI:

Source Code

1. Error #0:
    2. OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export
  • New

Can we get a ZFS specific section in the Storage section? Please

I installed ZFS file system and raid on my newly build box...would like to track down or help if I can

Is there any way to add a ZFS "scrub" option in either the S.M.A.R.T section or in the ZFS section so we can setup a cron to scrub the array monthly?
    I already have it set to do short S.M.A.R.T daily, long S.M.A.R.T weekly, and Conveyance weekly as well...would like to schedule a scrub as well
    blogs.oracle.com/wonders-of-zf…isk-scrub-why-and-when-v2

Thanks again for such a GREAT distro!!!! FreeNAS may have ZFS but if you don't understand FreeBSD then it's kinda a moot point (learning curve is rather steep)...but debian/ubuntu/a HUGE amounts of distros out there are easy to understand and tweak...plus they are quite compatible and if a problem is found/fixed on another distro..95% of the time (or more) it will work a champ on OMV.
  • New

Hello Everyone!

I am going to build my first NAS. The goal was to be xheap and also not power hungry.

Here will be my hardware, still waiting for some parts.

- Case: Cooler Master Elite 120.
    - MoBo: ASRock E350M1
    - RAM: Will be 2 Gb DDR3 (for now)
    - PSU: Be Quiet! System Power B9 300w bulk (80+)
    - 4 HDDs 1Tb each.
    - 1 SSD 32 Gb

This will be use manly as a fileserver with RAID 5 with OMV.

But I am also thinking about maybe using proxmox, virtualize OMV and Daphile for playing music from one folder shared by OMV.

Will this configuration be enought?

I am a bit affraid that would be short and more of it, i am a bit affraid not too puch confident to have OMV as a VM.

Hope my questions are not too dumb.

Waiting to read you.

Unread Threads

Topic Replies Last Reply

Rock64 slow usb3 transfer speed

kimbaz

logs in samba server

Docker gui plug-in does not install please help

ryecoaaron

Union Filesystems crashes - "Transport endpoint is not connected"

ryecoaaron

Raspberry Pi4 4gb Raid 5 questions

ryecoaaron

Recent Activities

• kimbaz -

Replied to the thread Rock64 slow usb3 transfer speed.

From what I read in the forum other people had the same/similar issue. Unfortunately the hd-idle solution does not seem to be working properly for me. I wonder if there is a way to log access to the usb disk to verify if a process/client is accessing the…
  • Rd65 -

Posted the thread OMV 4.x logs in samba server.

Thread
    i try to fix some omv errors and want to read samba logs.. - as defined in smb.conf -> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m but samba create files in /var/log/samba/log.ipaddress with a leght of 0 i found that there is a buggy entry "logging=syslog" which…
  • ryecoaaron -

Replied to the thread Docker gui plug-in does not install please help.

Looks like the docker repo isn't available. What is the output of the apt clean button?
  • ryecoaaron -

Replied to the thread Union Filesystems crashes - "Transport endpoint is not connected".

Not seeing anything wrong yet. What about grep mergerfs /etc/fstab
  • ryecoaaron -

Replied to the thread Raspberry Pi4 4gb Raid 5 questions.

Quote from Glider_bum: “I can't comprehend this blasphemy about RAID5 ” I think raid5 can be a good thing when used on the right hardware. If you use cheap power supplies with old hard drives on a system that you put to sleep all the time (large…
  • Rd65 -

Replied to the thread Rock64 slow usb3 transfer speed.

A lot of external Disks (via USB) use controllers (USB2SATA Bridges) which hide features of the disk and may use own (firmware depended) timeouts. its logic.. you use an usblink.. not sata... only the backend between controller and disk is…
  • Adoby -

Replied to the thread Raspberry Pi4 4gb Raid 5 questions.

Quote from Glider_bum: “For a home user this should be the most important feature of a Raid array - the redudancy gives one second chance to backup important data. Without redundancy will data (most likely) be lost when a drive dies. ” The thing is,…
  • Morlan -

Replied to the thread Letsencrypt Docker error.

Its enough to connect them ... docker internal dns will do the rest
  • gderf -

Replied to the thread Snapraid Disaster?.

You should be able to pick out what you need by running: tree /dev/disk -a Or you can look at OMV's Storage | Disks page.
  • curious1 -

Replied to the thread Snapraid Disaster?.

Quote from henfri: “Go to my pre previous Post and digest it. Ask Questions until you have fully understood. ” What is the method to properly identify whether a drive is sdb or sdc or ??? What I have in there now is a spinning original 1TB drive with…