openmediavault

The open network attached storage solution

News

• New

Tried to log into the web gui today and was told my username or password was incorrect. Tried the usual stuff, no luck. I'm certain I didn't change my password since the weekend, but decided to just do a re-set with omv-firstaid and be done with it.
    When I try to execute the control panel admin password change, I get the following error.
    Updating control panel administrator password. Please wait ...
    ERROR: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; usermod --password '$1$wITgGd9N$iASwhljseorIBYRc.f5hx/' admin 2>&1' with exit code '1': usermod: cannot lock /etc/passwd; try again later.

I did find this thread with a similar issue, but the steps listed there don't work for me. forum.openmediavault.org/index…update-OMV-on-raspberry2/

Also, I'm not sure if this matters, but the system seems sluggish.

Any ideas?
  • Migration OMV 4.x Upgrade 3.x -> 4.x

Blebbens

New

Hi there,

I would like to use a new 128 GB SSD for OMV 4. At the moment OMV 4 is running on a 500GB HDD with some OMV-Extras-AddOns installed.
    OMV is managing a RAID of 4 HDDS.

I would like to know if there is an easy way to transfer OMV from a 500GB HDD to a 128 GB SSD. The storage of 128 GB would be more than enough.

I am a bit afraid of loosing my RAID.
  • New

Hallo Leute,

ich nutze seit einger Zeit OMV 2.x, welches mittlerweile veraltet ist und durch eine neuere Version ersetzt werden soll.
    Dafür hab' ich mir auch einen besseren PC besorgt.

Nun ist wohl OMV gerade im Umbruch zwischen den Versionen 4,5 und 6.
    Version 4 und 5 habe ich zum Test mal aufgespielt und durchgeklickt.

Die 4 ist der Version 2 noch recht ähnlich. Ich bin mir aber nicht sicher, jetzt noch ein OMV4 aufzusetzen...
    Allerdings habe ich bei OMV5 (Release kommt verm. im 4. Quartal) Probleme beim Verständnis mit Docker - hier wären lediglich CUPS und OPENVPN für mich interessant. Aber ohne eine gute Anleitung für den Umgang mit Containern in OMV wird's mehr als schwierig.
    Wir die Version 6 wieder "Anfängerfreundlicher" ?

Wie sind Euere Empfehlungen / Erfahrungen ?

Unread Threads

Topic Replies Last Reply

CRON and Apt-Get errors

gderf

Help deciding on what OS for NAS solution

KM0201

omv-firstaid won't change web admin password

votdev

Backup does not work anymore

J3455-ITX BIOS SETUP

Erikk

Recent Activities

• gderf -

Replied to the thread CRON and Apt-Get errors.

OMV 3 is based on Debian Jessie. Debian Jessie reached End of Life in June 2017 and Debian shuttered the repos for it. You may be able to edit your /etc/apt/sources.list per the below link to receive LTS Debian security updates until June 30, 2020, but…
  • KM0201 -

Replied to the thread Help deciding on what OS for NAS solution.

Quote from macom: “Quote from crackjack: “Serious answer, I just want some extra file security/safty/peace of mind, I have 1.9tb of music which I have been collecting for nearly 10 years 500gb of it is flac the rest is 320kb mp3. ” Then do backups.…
  • KM0201 -

Liked geaves’s post in the thread Help deciding on what OS for NAS solution.

Like (Post)
    Quote from crackjack: “I made this exact post on the freenas forums and they have quite snobby and just dismissive/unhelpful "oh you dont have ECC memory dont bother" its actually quite off putting. ” :D You're not the first and I'm sure not the last to…
  • KM0201 -

Liked ryecoaaron’s post in the thread Help deciding on what OS for NAS solution.

Like (Post)
    Quote from crackjack: “OMV lacks the documentation on the sorta things I am looking for though I could of just missed it. ” Between the guide forum forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Board/29-Guides/, the info in the forum itself, and the readthedocs…
  • votdev -

Replied to the thread omv-firstaid won't change web admin password.

• Olivier -

Liked tkaiser’s post in the thread Low power home-made NAS or QNAP / Synology ?.

Like (Post)
    Quote from RomainD2: “What do you think about the Helios4 ? ” Helios4 is based on a 'true NAS SoC' (also used in commercial NAS boxes, routers and access points -- this Marvell stuff is simply great) and provides a couple of unique features like 4…
  • sonofwatt -

Posted the thread omv-firstaid won't change web admin password.

Thread
    Tried to log into the web gui today and was told my username or password was incorrect. Tried the usual stuff, no luck. I'm certain I didn't change my password since the weekend, but decided to just do a re-set with omv-firstaid and be done with it. When…
  • roison -

Liked ryecoaaron’s post in the thread OMV 5.x (beta) Resolved Install OMV5 via command line over Debian 10.

Like (Post)
    Quote from TechnoDadLife: “There is no OMV5 for Raspberry Pi until Debian updates the kernal. ” Why is that? (Hidden Content)
  • crackjack -

Replied to the thread Help deciding on what OS for NAS solution.

Quote from Adoby: “OK, you know that RAID is not backup. Then I assume that you do have good backups, perhaps even in several generations and at several locations. Incremental backups or snapshots to other media or whatever. At regular intervals or…
  • Erikk -

Replied to the thread J3455-ITX BIOS SETUP.

Um.. but what are you really concerned about? Because, you know, CSM is just a part of UEFI to provide legacy BIOS compatibility for legasy OS (wiki) And as OMV is not legasy OS, so using this option is not very useful either, is it?