openmediavault

The open network attached storage solution

News

• New

Hello OMV-Community,

I use OMV 4 on a Raspberry Pi 3b+ with 2 USB-Stick for personal data (~80GB) and a 2TB HDD for media (~1TB of music, videos, pictures). I use the in build Plex addon and in the built in docker I am running my smarthome (Home Assistant, Mosquitto, etc).

But now I want to upgrade this "NAS", one reason is, when one of the storage dies, its gone. I do backup of my personal data every 2-XX weeks ( :whistling: ) and this is to risky for me, now.

What I want?
    I don't know so much over NAS-Systems, but what I know for I backup I need a RAID 1 to mirror on storage. I want my Personal Data and my media on one Storage (3-4TB HDD) for RAID 1 backup.

What is the best system for this?
    The Raspberry Pi 4 got USB 3.0, so it is smart to put 2x 3-4TB NAS-HDD on this USB-Ports? Or is a mini-ITX build the way to go?
    I don't really have a price limit, but it should be not to expensiv :D

Greetings
  • New

Hello everyone,
    Yesterday I've installed OMV 4.1 and Plex plugin through OMV-Extras. Everything was fine.

Today however... Plex service is still up and runnning (screenshot no.1). I can connect to it from PS4, no problem at all.

The problem is - in admin panel, "Plex media server" disappeared from "Services" tab, so I can't configure it now (screenshot no.2). What could be the reason of this?
  • New

Hi all,

Union Filesystem Plugin: I have a MergerFS pool setup as follows:

Source Code

1. /dev/sde1 1.9T 2.0G 1.9T 1% /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WD2TBTwo
    2. /dev/sdb1 1.9T 2.0G 1.9T 1% /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WD2TBOne
    3. /dev/sdc1 3.7T 1.3T 2.4T 36% /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SGT4TBTwo
    4. /dev/sda1 3.7T 1.3T 2.4T 36% /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SGT4TBOne

SDC1 is parity...the other 3 are inside a MergerFS pool. So I have a motherboard replacement that needs to take place...which means I'll have to reinstall OMV on the system drive. Since MergerFS spans data across drives, what's the proper way to take a pool that was on one system and get it up and running on the other system without losing data?

Has anyone ever done this before? Am I over-complicating things?

Unread Threads

Topic Replies Last Reply

Flex TV (Phlex) for Plex Media Server

TechnoDadLife

Best choice to upgrade

ryecoaaron

Help deciding on what OS for NAS solution

ryecoaaron

Network DNS/ping problem

uaytac

ZFS plugin is present for OVM5?

ryecoaaron

Recent Activities

• TechnoDadLife -

Liked ryecoaaron’s post in the thread Help deciding on what OS for NAS solution.

Like (Post)
    Quote from crackjack: “OMV lacks the documentation on the sorta things I am looking for though I could of just missed it. ” Between the guide forum forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Board/29-Guides/, the info in the forum itself, and the readthedocs…
  • TechnoDadLife -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Flex TV (Phlex) for Plex Media Server.

Did you look at the github. You don't have to host it. github.com/d8ahazard/FlexTV WEB-ONLY VERSION What's that? You wish someone would just host Flex TV for you? You don't feel like messing around with webservers and port forwarding and…
  • ryecoaaron -

Replied to the thread Best choice to upgrade.

I have my RPi4 in a flirc case and it helps the temps but I don't think the RPi4 should be the first choice for a NAS. I have a lot of SBC boards and I would still pick the Nano Pi M4 with sata hat over all the others.
  • ryecoaaron -

Replied to the thread Help deciding on what OS for NAS solution.

Quote from crackjack: “OMV lacks the documentation on the sorta things I am looking for though I could of just missed it. ” Between the guide forum forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Board/29-Guides/, the info in the forum itself, and the readthedocs…
  • crackjack -

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from crackjack: “use ZFS but doesnt use it natively ” If you use the Debian kernel, a zfs kernel module will be built using dkms. This module is just as native as any other Linux filesystem. If you use the Proxmox…
  • TechnoDadLife -

Liked ryecoaaron’s post in the thread Help deciding on what OS for NAS solution.

Like (Post)
    Quote from crackjack: “use ZFS but doesnt use it natively ” If you use the Debian kernel, a zfs kernel module will be built using dkms. This module is just as native as any other Linux filesystem. If you use the Proxmox kernel (install with…
  • geaves -

Quote from Dyfcom: “And for my plan, the Rpi4 is the way to go. ” The Pi4 has improved and caught up with other SBC's, there is a Pi4 image for OMV, but some are experiencing mixed results, this channel has been doing some testing regarding the Pi4's…
  • uaytac -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Network DNS/ping problem.

My network consist 1 pc, 1 omv and 3 android phone. if OVM is online or connected to router, then problem starts. I tried all combination, and found only problem caused by OMV. I changed 3 different router/modem, a few cable, changed ip. Nothing was…
  • Dyfcom -

Quote from geaves: “ :) The answer is in my signature, but setting up a raid on usb is simply a bad idea. ” you got me ;) Quote from geaves: “ Use 2 USB3 powered drives, use one for your data and the other to run rsync to copy your data from the first…
  • ryecoaaron -

Quote from crackjack: “use ZFS but doesnt use it natively ” If you use the Debian kernel, a zfs kernel module will be built using dkms. This module is just as native as any other Linux filesystem. If you use the Proxmox kernel (install with…