openmediavault

The open network attached storage solution

News

• New

Simple requirement: I'd like to be able to access a Samba share from any stock, unmodified Windows 10 machine with NO login and NO password. Years ago this was easy, but Microsoft has made it progressively harder with seemingly every update. Is this even possible these days?

I have read dozens and dozens of forum posts (here and elsewhere) to no avail. Most are outdated because Microsoft keeps changing things.

My sense is that this is no longer possible without making local group policy changes to the Windows box (which defeats my purpose; I want anyone with wifi access to be able to easily read (only) these files). But I've never gotten a definitive answer on whether this is the case. Does anyone know?

If it is possible, can someone point me to a definitive, up-to-date tutorial on it?
  • New

Hi all,

I built an OMV install out of an old HP 550-150qe. This came with the following items I'm carrying forward:

1. Intel i5 - 4460
    2. Hynix 8 GB (2 x 4GB) PC3L-12800
    3. Western Digital - Red 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
    4. Western Digital - Red 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

I run plex and virtualbox headless on there currently (use VM for pihole). I outgrew the motherboard when I purchased 2 X 2 TB WD Red drives a few months ago. I wanted to upgrade further with some 8 TB drives since I'm coming close to capacity (1.5 TB) and obviously ran out of SATA ports on the mobo since it only has 3. I also transplanted the motherboard into a desktop style slim case so I'm actually out of space all together. Fast forward to this week and I've made a new build:

pcpartpicker.com/list/4zKs9J

So the build above will increase my storage quite a bit. The current setup is that I have software RAID (BTRFS underlying) on the 2 X 2TB drives and all my shares located there. So the…
  • New

Hello
    You can guide me.
    I just installed OpenMediaVault for testing and I can not log in.

During setup the setup asked the password for root, I set the password "1234".

But when I try to access it via the Web Interface it returns with error over the users "admin", "admin: openmediavault", "openmediavault" and tried to enter with the user "root".

I recorded a screen cast so that you can see the problem that is presented.
    Movie in Youtube

On completion, the problem does not occur, I can quietly access Debian with the root and the password above.
  • New

I am new user to OMV. I have installed the OMV and installed as per TechnoDadLife video with no problems.
    I like to transfer files from windows 10 to and from OMV Drive A, the Win10 does not permit me to copy files to OMV.
    Questions:
    1. Best way to copy or transfer files from OMV or from Wins10?
    2.I think the former is better what plug-in do I use, or use Krusader?

Thanks.

Unread Threads

Topic Replies Last Reply

Access OMV web interface through Letsencrypt dockers proxy

Morlan

Is public, anonymous SMB access from Windows even possible anymore?

tkaiser

Build a low-power NAS with a SBC

PackElend

Trouble Configuring Sonarr & Transmission VPN Dockers

omvuserdude

OMV in BerryBoot

Recent Activities

• Morlan -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Access OMV web interface through Letsencrypt dockers proxy.

Looks good. For me it works without typing https. What message do you get, when you try without?
  • tkaiser -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Is public, anonymous SMB access from Windows even possible anymore?.

Quote from ras07: “I'm just looking for a definitive answer on whether it's still possible ” Sorry, neither know nor care. All my work is directed at the opposite direction. I personally stopped using Windows 25 years ago, had to deal with it at the…
  • PackElend -

Replied to the thread Build a low-power NAS with a SBC.

Is the Udoo x86 (II in the meanwhile) still a considerable option? I'm searching for low-power x64 SBC with an Arduino interface able to run docker images. The only SBC I found is the udoo x86 ULTRA, the LattePanda 4G/64G is too weak. I would like to see…
  • omvuserdude -

Replied to the thread Trouble Configuring Sonarr & Transmission VPN Dockers.

just curious if anyone had some thoughts on this - i haven't been able to find any documentation/forum posts that help address this - but as we all know - if you don't know where to look in the first place it's likely you won't find the answer.
  • Brozard -

Posted the thread OMV 4.x OMV in BerryBoot.

Thread
    Hello, today I just posted this message here ar I do not find how to install openmediavault in BerryBoot, ?( I'm a beginner, everything helps you me will be useful and I thank everyone who will do it.
  • ras07 -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Is public, anonymous SMB access from Windows even possible anymore?.

Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from ras07: “Years ago this was easy, but Microsoft has made it progressively harder with seemingly every update ” And we all should be grateful for this since there is a million of SMB shares publicly available on the…
  • ras07 -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Speed over Samba mount.

Quote from stefluik: “Hello, I am now using a virtualbox Ubuntu on the server to download and to copy the data to the server (same machine) via smb mount. after some gb it cancel with an error. why? ” So your VM and your SMB server are running on the…
  • Quote from gderf: “Consider using Deluge for torrents with a SOCKS5 proxy instead of a VPN. The setup is painless and it just works. ” Wow - all those hours I spent trying to figure out the workings of Docker and VPN configurations and it was…
  • djismgaming -

Replied to the thread My OMVNUC Nas.

Better display using Apache Guacamole (with and without docker containers):
  • djismgaming -

Replied to the thread Slow E350 system with Dockers.

As you can see on this screenshot, my sonarr container is eating RAM as an unchained child :D 3.28 GB to be exact! (screenshot using Guacamole for better display)