openmediavault

The open network attached storage solution

News

• New

Hello,

I am new to Linux and looking for an answer to a question I cannot fin anywhere.

I having recently received an old server from work which has come with a couple old drives. I have in total two 2TB HDD, four 1TB HDD for a total of 8TB. I would like to pool these disks into a single volume and it will only contain media. I have read some articles that say I can use OMV and UnionFS plugin to do this. I have also read about software like LVM to merge disks into one volume however they format the disks that are involved in the merge. Which worries me thinking about future proofing and upgrading disk down the road.

My questions are:
    1. Will the process of pooling disks together format all disks involved?
    2. If disks are formatted when pooled, how do people work around upgrading disks without loosing data?
    3. Is is even recommended to do for a home media server?
  • New

hey guys,

new to omv5 and relatively new to linux in general, but not at all squeamish about terminal

i caught a break and found a tech store going out of business... picked up some hardware on the cheap!
    i got 8x 8tb toshiba n300 drives, and 4x 10tb ironwolf drives... grabbed a cheap motherboard, LSI hba, and a Pentium gold all for less than 500 bucks. part of my buy was this usb network adapter from qnap... QNAP QNA-UC5G1T
    i have drivers for both windows and linux, but im not able to install them (i know, damn linux noob...)
    any pointers on where to look for further advice or maybe a cheat sheet on what to do?
    im happy with instructions, but would REALLY like an explanation of WHAT is happening and what im doing wrong... (to better understand linux commands instead of just copying and pasting)

thanks in advance guys
  • New

Hello, Even though I am a newbie in this community and just trying to get familiar with OMV environment, using OMV 5, I would like to share my two cents relevant to use of docker with this community.

I have learned that after posting several questions to the forum, many plugins will not be available in OMV-5. One of the responses stated that

KM0201 wrote:

You're far better off embracing docker at this point, since that is going to be where almost everything is going. Once you get the hang of it, it is incredibly simple.

I understand importance of Docker, benefits. But the way that docker is being planned in OMV-5, I suspect that is beneficial for the future of OMV.

My response to the above

benibilme wrote:

Honestly, even if docker will be used, it should fit into the system conventions. For example, I am advised to use a container in place of webdav
  • New

So i am in the process of trying out OMV from Windows. I have been using Snapraid and Drivepool, so this seems like an easy transition. This past weekend i got all the various programs installed through portainer and i have them running. More or less minimal issues. So the last feature i NEED is to get HW transcoding working on Plex. I can't find a guide to do it in OMV 5, and with Nvidia not having much support for Debian directly, i am not sure where to start. Following TechnoDad advice, i was able to get most things installed through Portainer, minus some port issues/questions. But, i have no idea where to start for this.

Unread Threads

Topic Replies Last Reply

Openmediavaut Systems Crashed

cabrio_leo

Error when try to pull image

sm0ke

OMV & Unionfs plugin to pool disks into one

Tracking of OMV users activity

Palou

Problem with RAID 5 under OMV 5.0.5

geaves

Recent Activities

• cabrio_leo -

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x (beta) Openmediavaut Systems Crashed.

Quote from votdev: “To make it short, it is not trivial to implement a backup/restore feature and there are currently other topics on the todo list with much more higher priority. ” At least a limited configuration backup possibility would be really,…
  • newbie7800 -

Hi Ryecoaaron Thanks first for making the OMV backup plugin and all your work. I had some nightmares restoring the last weeks but most of it was down to my specific configuration and I will share my experiences with the forum as I have made some…
  • sm0ke -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Error when try to pull image.

Thanks for making issue at docker/github. When I’m home, I’ll try a omv4 clean install on Virtual machine. Could try on my HC-2 too, but it’s armhf.
  • votdev -

Quote from Erikk: “Hmm.. did I understand it correctly, there is no backup settings tool/pluging for OMV? How come? ” The current problem is that there is no relation between the plugin version and the data stored in the database by this plugin. The…
  • newbie7800 -

Hi Ryecoaaron Thanks first for making the OMV backup plugin and all your work. I had some nightmares restoring the last weeks but most of it was down to my specific configuration and I will share my experiences with the forum as I have made some…
  • GooseDeer -

Posted the thread OMV 4.x OMV & Unionfs plugin to pool disks into one.

Thread
    Hello, I am new to Linux and looking for an answer to a question I cannot fin anywhere. I having recently received an old server from work which has come with a couple old drives. I have in total two 2TB HDD, four 1TB HDD for a total of 8TB. I would…
  • Palou -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Tracking of OMV users activity.

Thank you for your answer, I actually found information in diagnosis->services->SMB/CIFS, but the history of this information does not seem to be preserved. Do you know which log files they are stored in ? I tried to grep "username" in log files…
  • votdev -

I fear you can not do anything right at the moment. You hit a bug caused by a race condition. I will open a bug issue for the Docker plugin. You need to wait until the plugin developer has fixed it.
  • sm0ke -

Yes, latest omv4 image, clean install and updated. And installed omv-extras.Also tried clean install without updating omv, installed omv-extras. Same issue (after updated omv completely (kernel included).