openmediavault

The open network attached storage solution

News

• New

Hi All.
    Total noob so some dumb questions.

Am looking for a simple system to connect to a home LAN with an external drive to store files and backups for 2 home PCs.

Having a folder or partition for media files would also be an advantage.

I have a Raspberry Pi running OctoPrint for my 3D printer, but no real experience with Pi's

Questions :
    Is the OpenMediaVault a complete OS for the Pi ?
    Does the Pi need another OS on it's SD card to boot from ?

Can the OS be run from the SD card so I can change / swap the external hard drives at any time ?
    Can OMV on the Pi be accessed over the LAN from my Win8 PC so the Pi does not need a keyboard or monitor ?

Am sure there are more questions, but just trying to understand the basics of what OMV actually is ( in non-technical terms )
  • New

My SBC suddenly only boots in CLI.

Source Code

1. [ 30.650663] D: [File] : drivers/gpu/arm/mali400/mali/platform/rk/rk.c; [Line] : 623; [Func] : mali_platform_device_init(); to add platform_specific_data to platform_device_of_mali.
    2. [ 30.6595381 mali-utgard ff300000.gpu: Failed to get leakage
    3. [ 30.6678171 mali-utgard ff300000.gpu: Failed to get pvtm
    4. [ 30.6782 76] Mali: Mali device driver loaded
    5. [ 30.7729 65] deufreq ff300000.gpu: Couldn't update frequency transition inforMatim
    6. [ 30.830799 ] FAT-fs Cmmcblk1p6): utf8 is not a recoMmended IO charset for FAT file
    7. [ 31.075696] FAT-fs Cmmcblk1p6): Uolume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
    8. [ 33.201216] rk_gMac-dwMac ff540000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow flow control
  • New

I discovered OMV late last week, and have played around with it a bit. I've installed it on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ as well as an Intel motherboard. I've decided to not use it on the Raspberry Pi. On my Intel motherboard, I've installed 4 X 8TB drives, and have played around with various RAID configurations. After reading this forum, I've decided that RAID is not the way to go for me. It is extremely slow to build, and I am just not comfortable with it. At first, I installed OMV on a 32GB USB3 memory stick. Then I read on this forum that this too is a bad idea. Now, I've re-installed OMV on a 500 GB HDD (this is what I have at hand).

My question is simple: If the OMV system disc fails, and I need to re-install OMV, will my data be available after the reinstallation?

Thank you in advance.

Unread Threads

Topic Replies Last Reply

Failed omv-update, can't install, reinstall, uninstall docker

sickley

Shellinabox plugin in testing repo

totopesce

Noob questions

wolf8auer

Openmediavault 5.0-1 and OMV-Extras

KM0201

Reinstallation of OMV - will my data survive?

KM0201

Recent Activities

• sickley -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Failed omv-update, can't install, reinstall, uninstall docker.

Same issue here. Did you ever solve it? I've tried removing docker but anytime i do it just hangs. I can't seem to start or stop the daemon/service either. I'm at the point where I have to re-install omv because i'm unable to find a solution anywhere.
  • crashtest -

Liked KM0201’s post in the thread OMV 4.x Reinstallation of OMV - will my data survive?.

Like (Post)
    Quote from sweetbb: “I discovered OMV late last week, and have played around with it a bit. I've installed it on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ as well as an Intel motherboard. I've decided to not use it on the Raspberry Pi. On my Intel motherboard, I've…
  • totopesce -

Replied to the thread OMV 1.0 Shellinabox plugin in testing repo.

I have the same problem as RomainD2, I did enable ssh, it works on my rpi with omv, and it worked on 2 other machines with omv
  • DaveOB -

Liked wolf8auer’s post in the thread Noob questions.

Like (Post)
    If you use it, it will work. But you'll only get 10 MB/s file transfer speed. That can be frustrating if you have to copy hundreds of GB. With GbE you get 60-110 MB/s easily. Provided that you have a GbE LAN (Cables, switch, etc.)
  • wolf8auer -

Replied to the thread Noob questions.

If you use it, it will work. But you'll only get 10 MB/s file transfer speed. That can be frustrating if you have to copy hundreds of GB. With GbE you get 60-110 MB/s easily. Provided that you have a GbE LAN (Cables, switch, etc.)
  • DaveOB -

Liked wolf8auer’s post in the thread Noob questions.

Like (Post)
    1),2) Yes the OMV Image is on an SD Card and you boot your computer with it. The raspberry pi however is a bad choice because it is too slow. You need an SBC with Gigabit Ethernet and USB 3 port. (Rock64, Nanopi M4, etc.) 3) No, you cannot change the…
  • DaveOB -

Quote from wolf8auer: “The raspberry pi however is a bad choice because it is too slow. ” Thank You for the reply and info. If the primary function is only for file storage ( old photos, etc ) should the Pi be sufficient for the task ?
  • wolf8auer -

1),2) Yes the OMV Image is on an SD Card and you boot your computer with it. The raspberry pi however is a bad choice because it is too slow. You need an SBC with Gigabit Ethernet and USB 3 port. (Rock64, Nanopi M4, etc.) 3) No, you cannot change the…
  • DaveOB -

Posted the thread Noob questions.

Thread
    Hi All. Total noob so some dumb questions. Am looking for a simple system to connect to a home LAN with an external drive to store files and backups for 2 home PCs. Having a folder or partition for media files would also be an advantage. I have a…
  • KM0201 -

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x (development) Update Openmediavault 5.0-1 and OMV-Extras.

Quote from mateMathieu: “Thanks for your answer, yes it would demand me some time/skills that I don't have at the moment. How far are we from 5.x release? days, months? Buster reached the RC1 state, would you advise me to wait a little? ” I'm…