Recent Activities

• ness1602 -

Replied to the thread [beginner] should I use raid for my openmediavault.

• Adoby -

Replied to the thread [beginner] should I use raid for my openmediavault.

No. Don't use RAID. Not unless you have really good reasons. And not before you have good backups. Even if you use RAID, you need to have backups. Otherwise you WILL loose data. Sooner or later. OMV allows you to automate backups/snapshots. But you…
  • HannesJo -

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x (beta) slow transfer speeds with mellanox 40gbe.

Quote from patman2097: “my current setup WIndows 10 box with mellanox connectX3 MCX354A-FCBT 40gbe NIC card - ethernet connection enabled connected directely with DAC QFSP+ cable to OMV V5.5 setup with ZFZ RAIDZ2 using 4 3.5 inch drives, mellanox
  • a.posa -

Replied to the thread Looking for a Mini ITX motherboard to build a home NAS.

• ryecoaaron -

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x (beta) Resolved Install OMV5 via command line over Debian 10.

Quote from TechnoDadLife: “Announced in 2019, this system adds a second HDMI port, more memory, true Gigabit Ethernet and USB3. There is no support for it in the Debian kernels yet. We understand this computer no longer boots from the GPU, so it is…
  • TechnoDadLife -

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x (beta) Resolved Install OMV5 via command line over Debian 10.

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from TechnoDadLife: “There is no OMV5 for Raspberry Pi until Debian updates the kernal. ” Why is that? (Hidden Content) ” wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi Raspberry Pi 4 Announced in 2019, this system adds a second HDMI port,…
  • ryecoaaron -

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x (beta) slow transfer speeds with mellanox 40gbe.

How much speed did you think you were going to get out of spinning disk? What speed is each side connected at? Why the large font?
  • patman2097 -

Posted the thread OMV 5.x (beta) slow transfer speeds with mellanox 40gbe.

Thread
    my current setup WIndows 10 box with mellanox connectX3 MCX354A-FCBT 40gbe NIC card - ethernet connection enabled connected directely with DAC QFSP+ cable to OMV V5.5 setup with ZFZ RAIDZ2 using 4 3.5 inch drives, mellanox connectX3 MCX354A-FCBT
  • ryecoaaron -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Proxmox with docker.

Quote from subzero79: “I maintain a separate plain Debian vm for docker ” I do the same except I am using an Ubuntu VM and use the command line for docker stuff.
  • subzero79 -

I recently ditched docker from omv vm. I maintain a separate plain Debian vm for docker , left omv exclusively for smb/nfs/ftp storage. I reduced the ram in omv from 8 to 2gb, and left docker vm with 5 or 6gb can’t remember exactly, I use portainer as…
  • ryecoaaron -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x LVM.

Quote from terencefaul: “Is anyone using LVM for disk management and Device Pooling. Is there an advantage to this over mergerFS ” Most people really have no reason to use LVM. If is helpful if you are running OMV as a VM, resize your disk(s) a…
  • ryecoaaron -

Replied to the thread OMV, proxmox and Green IT.

I haven't looked at this but my server is always busy. I would try changing the governor but most power saving ideas probably would negatively impact running VMs.
  • crackjack -

Liked Adoby’s post in the thread Help deciding on what OS for NAS solution.

Like (Post)
    Quote from crackjack: “If that doesnt make sense to you then all I can say is try put your self in my shoes I cant afford 16tb data center drives that aint happening for a long time. ” The hardware you listed in your first post is not cheap either.…
  • terencefaul -

Thanks @rpman. What kind of resources do you allocate to your OMV VM
  • Nave -

Posted the thread OMV 4.x Netzwerk Probleme.

Thread
    Moin Mein nas hat eine Netzwerk Karte mit 4 ports jetzt möchte ich aber die 4 ports unterschiedlich auf docker verteilen. Und der Anschluss vom Mainboard will ich auch irgendwie nutzen das soll aber nur dann omv laufen. Kann mir irgend jemand helfen?
  • Carsten12 -

Posted the thread OMV 4.x Use bind0 as primary network adapter instead of eno1.

Thread
    Hello, I have a box with a build-in and two PCIe network adapters. I used the build-in to install with DHCP, it appears as eno1. Also, I successfully configured the two others to be a trunked bind0 with DHCP, as I have a managed switch which…
  • Nas-turally -

Posted the thread OMV, proxmox and Green IT.

Thread
    Hi I continue to prepare my migration from OMV to Proxmox with OMV as VM, and I have a question for the clever guys (you! :) ) who are already using OMV+proxmox. Proxmox has no option in its GUI to set any powersaving feature. It even runs the…
  • KM0201 -

Liked Adoby’s post in the thread Help deciding on what OS for NAS solution.

Like (Post)
    Quote from crackjack: “If that doesnt make sense to you then all I can say is try put your self in my shoes I cant afford 16tb data center drives that aint happening for a long time. ” The hardware you listed in your first post is not cheap either.…
  • Adoby -

Replied to the thread Help deciding on what OS for NAS solution.

• karel3 -

Replied to the thread SOLVED daily logrotate error email.

To solve it it was enough just to rename status file. mv /var/lib/logrotate/status /var/lib/logrotate/status.origmanual I used is here:geekpeek.net/error-bad-top-line-in-state-file/Note that there is an error in the manual. He uses logrotate.status…