Recent Activities

• flmaxey -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Converting EXT4 to BTFRS.

If you go to BTRFS, you'd better be running your NAS on an UPS. Otherwise you're going to be seeing "Error = parent transid verify failed" real soon. Hint: If your file system is not set "read only" or "bricked" by the above error, you might need the…
  • Coru -

Replied to the thread Making sense of hard drive errors, is my drive dead?.

To be honest, I am not really sure if I have backups... I set everything up a long time ago and I have forgotten a lot. :) All I know is I have a snapraid setup. I'll have to figure out what that means again. Looking at SMART, there are some intriguing…
  • prophetse7en -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Rutorrent in docker.

Did you figure it ut @elastic? I really want autodl-iriss and vpn on my rtorrent docker. Any tips you can share?
  • prophetse7en -

Posted the thread OMV 4.x First time user - Best way to setup 4x8TB drives?.

Thread
    I am about to throw out my 10 x 2TB drives running in hardware Raid 6 and replace it with 4 x 8TB drives. I have only played around with OMV in a VM for a couple hours before installing it in to my server. 90% of my files are movies and tv-shows, the…
  • thecheat001 -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Resolved Need to swap a dying disk in a RAID5.

The new drive came up as sdb. The bad drive is still living at sde. The failing drive is still holding steady and I'm about 60% rebuilt, so far so good.
  • MPPurcell -

Replied to the thread OMV 3.x Copying or moving files from one Storage disk to another.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this--I've been occupied with other things. @macom -- Thanks for your link. Yes, I saw and used your file extensively in learning about and setting up OMV. The PDF I had is slightly smaller, so there may be some…
  • Markess -

Replied to the thread Replacement for HP ProLiant N40L.

Quote from y2kdread: “Do you have any guidance/best practices on how to set this up? ” I'd suggest you take a look at how they work first and see if its something you're interested in. The Snapraid site has some good info and comparison on how, and…
  • flmaxey -

Quote from thecheat001: “And would you believe I pulled the wrong drive? At least I know how to do it now, when I do it again in 193.4 minutes. ” This is why checking the serial number in Storage, Drives, against what's on the drive label is…
  • flmaxey -

It took two boots before it the array came up clean, degraded? (One can never know for sure - there's some many variables.) I think the command should have been: mdadm --assemble --force /dev/md0 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd because the drive removed…
  • thecheat001 -

And would you believe I pulled the wrong drive? At least I know how to do it now, when I do it again in 193.4 minutes.
  • Adoby -

Replied to the thread Making sense of hard drive errors, is my drive dead?.

I assume that you have backups. Otherwise attempts at data recovery is the first step. Then I'd try to repartition and format and run some checks. Check SMART info. It might be just a filesystem glitch. It might be unrecoverable hardware failure. It…
  • geaves -

Quote from thecheat001: “Now I've added the new disk in the GUI and it's rebuilding! Thanks again! ” Excellent :thumbup: mark the thread as resolved.
  • Adoby -

BTRFS has checksums and COW (copy on write) and snapshots. Great stuff. But only if you know how to use it and actually intend to use it. It used to be a little flakey in some circumstances, but that may be fixed now? EXT4 is faster, I believe. But for…
  • henfri -

Ext can be converted to btrfs. But it is not recommended anymore. But as you have a backup....
  • thecheat001 -

Oh thank you very much!!!! I ended up getting the old drive out, installing the new drive, then rebooting. The array was still not displaying in the RAID Management tab. I went to the shell and tried to "mdadm --assemble --force /dev/md0 /dev/sdc…
  • /Ky -

Posted the thread OMV 4.x Converting EXT4 to BTFRS.

Thread
    Hey guys, Currently I have 3 HDD's in my server (x2 8TB & x1 12TB) all using EXT4 (no raid) and was just looking at BTFRS and wondered is there any benefits swapping from EXT4 to BTFRS (or any other filesystem such as XFS) and if so can I convert…
  • gderf -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x PiHole Docker not Reachable.

When specifying the image, try using the tag:4.2.2_armhf
  • flmaxey -

@geaves is correct here. If /dev/sdb is currently operating (and mobo/drive sata connections are not moved around), /dev/sdb shouldn't give up it's working device name. As noted, I wouldn't be surprised if the new drive comes up under the old drives…
  • TLo -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Data hazard: OpenMediaVault nearly erased my entire SSD..

Quote from TLo: “It turns out that a partition I used mostly for temporary data got re-formatted to ext4. ” …instead of the main data partition.
  • Kyuusaki -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x PiHole Docker not Reachable.

Shure, what Information do you need? Can't really answer the question on the architecure. Only Linux experience is out of youtube Tutorials :X the dead instance is the latest build. This one dies after a few minutes.