Recent Activities

• HannesJo -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Folder permissions, ACL, again.

Okay I think i get your point. I found it just a bit confusing because since you have to be aware of correct system permissions, anyway.. I was wondering why one should not do everything with that. Security might not be an issue. It just feels a bit like…
  • macom -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Update No gui (error 500) after update.

• IhorPr -

sudo omv-mkconf nginx sudo service nginx restart did not help me Yes, I set OMV to port 90. The 80 port I use for Nginx (web dev) omv-firstaid ERROR: Failed to connect /var/lib/openmediavault/engined.sock: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  • macom -

Quote from HannesJo: “why getting almost rid of it and its advantages by saying "it is enough to use privileges"? ” Many users have messed up their system by mixing privileges and ACL Quote from HannesJo: “In the manner of security I totally get…
  • Donny Bahama -

Liked macom’s post in the thread OMV 4.x SOLVED - How to tell if disk is (truly) empty (and/or repair it)?.

Like (Post)
    For TestDisk and PhotoRec there is no need to boot a live distro. Just copy the files to the OS drive and run from there. cgsecurity.org/wiki/Main_Page
  • Donny Bahama -

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x SOLVED - How to tell if disk is (truly) empty (and/or repair it)?.

That’s what I was looking for. The problem with booting a live distro is that the machine is headless and, while connecting a monitor and keyboard is easier than pulling it out of the rack, getting to the back side of my rack is still a bit of a…
  • macom -

Quote from IhorPr: “Request URL: nas.local:90/ ” Have you set OMV to port 90? Are you using port 80 for something else? Try omv-firstaid to configure the GUI.
  • GuyFromMars -

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x (beta) omv-confdbadm: command not found.

@Erikk That fixed the problem. Thanks! I still dont understand, though.
  • macom -

Quote from IhorPr: “$ omv-mkconf nginx ” Try sudo omv-mkconf nginx sudo service nginx restart
  • crashtest -

Replied to the thread Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose?.

Quote from danette5757: “I've setup everything again from armbian buster iso (so omv 5 beta). Lots of quirks to have a properly working omv (network setup should not be done using omv interface otherwise 2 ip adresses) and docker ( config.json is…
  • Erikk -

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x (beta) omv-confdbadm: command not found.

Quote from GuyFromMars: “@Erikk This is what I got: Shell-Script (3 lines)” Well, seems it still wants to know the path to omv-stuff... Ok, try to add '/usr/sbin' into your PATH environment variable Shell-Script (1 line)Then run 'omv-confdbadm…
  • HannesJo -

Liked Adoby’s post in the thread OMV 4.x Folder permissions, ACL, again.

Like (Post)
    None of your examples seem to need any use of ACLs, just the old traditional mechanisms for access rights. Just assign the right ownerships, group memberships and access rights, and you are done. But then I don't use Windows or CIFS, so I could be…
  • HannesJo -

Liked Adoby’s post in the thread OMV 4.x Folder permissions, ACL, again.

Like (Post)
    I use the OMV GUI to add or modify users and groups and group memberships. I use the command line or Midnight Commander to set owner and access rights on files and folders, other than the OMV defaults. If I really need to. I very rarely need to. I have…
  • HannesJo -

Quote from macom: “Shared folders have owner "root" and group "users" when created in the GUI of OMV. Users are members of the group "users" when created in the GUI of OMV. So for SMB and other services it is enough to use privileges, to give the…
  • IhorPr -

dpkg -l | grep openm ii openmediavault 4.1.23-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 …
  • Adoby -

I use the OMV GUI to add or modify users and groups and group memberships. I use the command line or Midnight Commander to set owner and access rights on files and folders, other than the OMV defaults. If I really need to. I very rarely need to. I have…
  • macom -

Shared folders have owner "root" and group "users" when created in the GUI of OMV. Users are members of the group "users" when created in the GUI of OMV. So for SMB and other services it is enough to use privileges, to give the users read/write or only…
  • macom -

I assume you have seen this thread: No gui (error 500) after upgrade From the mentioned steps in that thread: which have you done and what was the result?
  • HannesJo -

Quote from Adoby: “None of your examples seem to need any use of ACLs, just the old traditional mechanisms for access rights. Just assign the right ownerships, group memberships and access rights, and you are done. But then I don't use Windows or…
  • IhorPr -

I did it, also I used safari and chrome, but it's did not help me