Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Yeah, I know what you mean about all the extra configuration. Most builds become something of an evolution where, restoring it all takes a lot longer than 15 minutes. This is one of the reasons I boot from USB thumb-drives, because backing them up is dirt simple. With a cloned boot drive in hand, if something goes wrong, it's easy to gracefully back out of the problem with your configuration intact. If you decide to change to USB thumb-drives, there's a process for cloning them -> here. Once eve…

• If it was me, I'd rebuild. It doesn't take that long and, given the broad scope of the effect, I'd want to eliminate the possibility of some sort of odd corrupt in OMV/Debian. I don't know what you're booting with but, as a test, you could build an 8GB or larger USB thumb-drive while leaving whatever you're currently using to boot OMV, alone. A fresh build takes around 15 minutes and you'd know, at the end of it, what to look at next.

• Network Credentials

crashtest - - CIFS/SMB

A lot of information is missing - like how your shares are set up, the OS used at the client you're connecting from (I'm going to assume it's Windows), etc. (In any case) Assuming you already have network shares set up, have you created a user in OMV? Go into Access Rights Management, User. Under User, create a username and password that exactly matches the username and password, cap's and all, that you use to logon to your Windows Client. Save the user and, from the same Windows Client, try con…

• UnionFS and file distribution

crashtest - - General

I appreciated your posts. You've looked at this from an angle I hadn't thought about. The "Most Free Space" policy, which scatters storage folders over all hard drives, is a real commitment to the UnionFS plugin. The "Existing Path, Most Free Space" policy might still work well, even with out-sized Video file storage, with the manual creation of matching Video folders on all member drives. It's certainly worth testing in a VM. _______________________________________ The Bit-rot protection featur…

crashtest - - General

Quote from sonofwatt: “So then unionfs doesn't just create another "/Videos" for you on another drive with free space when the current one fills up? ” Using "Existing Path, most free space": The drive with the Existing Path "/Videos" will fill to the drive limit specified in the plugin. From there, when there's no free space left, I'm guessing it "might" create a /Videos folder on a second drive but I haven't tested it. Quote from sonofwatt: “What if you went ahead and manually created another V…

• After restart, can't load web GUI

crashtest - - Network

Quote from sonofwatt: “I've got to assume those are totally unrelated. ” I agree, it's probably coincidence, but strange things happen. The only thing I could come up with would be ESD damage while removing the cards. But that would be a long shot in that it's hard for hands and arms not to be grounded by the edges of a metal case when working inside. The move to another room and another switch shouldn't have anything to do with it. Removing the video and sound cards might change something in th…

crashtest - - General

Quote from sonofwatt: “Could you elaborate on the advantages of "Existing Path, Most Free Space" in regards to recovery? If I have a large media folder with numerous sub-folders, is the "Existing Path, Most Free Space" smart enough to not split the sub folders among drives? Also, what is the difference between "Existing Path, Most Free Space" and ""Existing Path, Least Used Space" ” "Existing Path, Most Free Space" has a cleaner, more understandable, root directory. (And if using this policy and…

• ZFS RAID recovery/replacement test

crashtest - - RAID

Quote from jairusan: “I assume the same applies to the mdadm RAID? ” In OMV 4, with mdadm RAID, a drive can replaced in the GUI. Still, IMO, I think you're on the right track with ZFS. ___________________________________________________________ Edit: There's a ZFS pool property that can be set called "autoreplace". It might be accessible from the GUI. I'll look at this when I get home in a few days.

crashtest - - General

You probably will fill the drive up to the limit specified by in UnionFS. You're probably filling one drive with video content, which are very large files. When a shared folder is created on the UnionFS mount point, we'll say Videos, using "Existing Path, Most Free Space", the folder is created on one drive. Thereafter, the first directive "Existing Path" will direct all files to that shared folder only. If you use the policy "Most Free Space", "Videos" will be filled with files until one of the…

• @towerpc I'm with @geaves on this one. Hope you get it resolved and would appreciate knowing about the result.

• Are you actually running a domain or is it peer to peer? Take a look at this How-To. Specifically take a look at the section titled Domain Connected Windows 10 Clients / Servers. Be sure to follow the link "guide to levels 1 through 5", to Microsoft's reference on the security levels and read the notes related to Server2008R2. Be aware of the risks - given the age of the server OS, I'm assuming it has no exposure to the internet. ( ? ) _______________________ Perhaps @geaves might chime in.

• Windows cannot access OPENMEDIAVAULT

crashtest - - Network

TL:DR, and I'm not interested into still more links to still more questionable info. As of the successful fix for the user, this thread is well beyond done, and so am I.

crashtest - - Network

Quote from tkaiser: “This is Microsoft's position on guest logons: 'Since insecure guest logons are unauthenticated, important security features such as SMB Signing and SMB Encryption are disabled. As a result, clients that allow insecure guest logons are vulnerable to a variety of man-in-the-middle attacks that can result in data loss, data corruption, and exposure to malware. Additionally, any data written to a file server using an insecure guest logon is potentially accessible to anyone on th…

• Is this setup worked for awhile, then suddenly it didn't, there may be a hardware problem.

crashtest - - Network

Again, for users who may happen onto this thread: Regarding SMB1: SMB1 was patched by MS years ago, on all supported Windows platforms at that time, to include Vista, with update 4013389 . Is it a good idea to use SMB1? Generally speaking, no, it's out of date and lacks many of the latest features. Are there hardware devices that require SMB1, which may be expensive or even irreplaceable? Yes. This is one of the reasons why SMB1 was patched. If needed, SMB1 can be used. Regarding Guest Logons: M…

• Multi-system case

crashtest - - My NAS Build

(While it's way off topic.) Despite common belief, there's no energy crisis and there never will be unless it's artificially induced. For now, the powers that be (all of them - Internationally) are fond of hydrocarbons and the economies that had sprung up around them. MSR's have been around since the 60's. They're very safe nuclear reactors and their power source, "Thorium", is a byproduct of rare earth's mining. It's abundant, there's a vast mount of it in nature, and there are great mounds of …

• hp Prodesk setup

crashtest - - My NAS Build

Quote from hp28190: “So the question is: The i3 would be sufficient ? ” For the core NAS function, a couple Dockers and a few add-on's, an i3 would be fine - more than enough. With the right amount of RAM and a VM that's not resource intensive, an i3 should be fine. If you want to run multiple VM's, or VM's with Desktops and that sort of thing, that would be another matter. In that case, something fast with more cores and RAM would be better. Quote from hp28190: “3 Sata ports (extensible with an…

crashtest - - Network

Quote from Pol de Lepel: “Guess what: it was worth a try, because it worked! I did add the user "Lina" to the user with all the necessary permissions and I could login It is a bit slow, but now I have fixed the main problem. ” Awesome. If you want to go back to the SMB share and set it to Public: No, it should still work and security would be tightened. All's well that ends well. ______________________________________________________________________ Edit - Now that you're familiar with adding us…

• New To OpenMediaVault

crashtest - - General

Quote from Morne: “a full Video of the hole process of starting the server full setup with shares ” I'm not sure of all the videos in @TechnoDadLife 's inventory, but a New User setup guide can be found -> here.

• First, I'll state up front, I have no experience with this kind of error. With that said, did you see the first line of the first screen shot? Kernel Bug at /build/-----/linux-4.19.28/drivers/ata/sat..... ? Do you have OS backup from a time when all functioned? If the answer is "yes", I'd restore the backup. If the answer is "no", I'd consider setting your current boot drive aside and rebuilding. It's a guess, but I'm of the belief that this might not be fixable. Further, I'd be reluctant to wor…