Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 104.

• Hello. Apologies in advance that this question is not strictly about OMV, but you guys are so very knowledgeable on hardware that I would really be grateful for some advice. The viewing habits of my family have changed a bit and we are starting to watch video from a number of different sources: 1. Live TV and Recordings on a Raspberry Pi3, running Kodi - this is linked to an Odroid HC2, running TVHeadend on OMV. 2. Netflix via a Chromecast. 3. SkyGo via a Windows laptop. I really want to replace…

• Intriguing development over the weekend. I did some testing, with the advice you guys gave me above, and it turns out that it was SMART that was preventing spin-down. I was a bit surprised - I was convinced that it was Emby that was causing all the issues. This was a bit of an issue as I was then wondering how I can keep an eye on my disk health if I cannot use SMART. However, I have just come across this thread: [SOLVED] Disks do not spin down automatically It seems that if the SMART interval i…

• Whoops - we posted at the same time. Thanks Kaiser - going to try that out and see what it reveals.

• I am running TVHeadend and Emby-Server on the HC2, so I am wondering whether one of those is causing the issue. Is there a way to see when a particular service has been accessing the hard drive? Out of interest, do you also happen to know what the flashing green led means? I thought it meant any hard drive activity, but it could just mean writing to the disk.

• Thanks Adoby - I shall have another go with the SMART the monitoring and testing turned off, as suggested. I did check that the output was: Source Code (1 line) So the HDD is definitely set to spin down after 20 minutes.It must, as you say, be something else that is preventing it from doing so.I shall revert, after a bit more testing.

• Thanks TKaiser - very sensible advice. Unfortunately, further to my original post, I am still unable to get my disk to spin down. I successfully flashed the software, turned the HC2 off (and unplugged it for a good couple of minutes) and turned it back on. The green LED stayed constantly on (showing no HDD activity) but the HDD just never stops spinning. I tried flashing again and still the same. This is really peculiar - everyone else, who uses the firmware, seems to get immediate results. I wa…

• Thanks all. Based upon the the below, I take it that I have absolutely nothing to worry about then (i.e. I should just leave the firmware alone)? Just over 17,000 seems pretty good for a drive that I bought in November 2015. forum.openmediavault.org/index…04815df1d8e783a2e145e8916

• Thanks Adoby - after all that, I still accidentally copied the wrong the line from the link and accidentally enabled SATA hot plugging (what a fool I am!). Took me a while to realise what I did and disabled it again and used the correct one - hard drive now successfully set to shutdown after 20 mins. I see what you mean about hdparm and WD Red drives. This was very interesting: withblue.ink/2016/07/15/what-i…-to-build-a-home-nas.html Do you think the first issue would be a cause for concern? I r…

• Thanks Adoby - I am going to try this out tonight. I have had a look at that link you posted and I am slightly worried that I might do something wrong and brick my new HC2. Can I just check, that I need to do the following as root when connected via ssh: Source Code (1 line) Source Code (1 line) Source Code (1 line) Source Code (1 line) Is this correct?

• Thanks Adoby. The weird thing is - I used exactly the same hard drive on my other x86-based OMV server and spin down seemed to work fine, then. Having moved it to the HC2, I wasn't sure whether there was am OMV setting that was slightly different, whether it was a software issue (I am now running Emby on the HC2, which I did not run on the x86 server) or whether it was a hardware issue. I am wondering whether it might just be easier to do what you have mentioned above, anyway, just to make absol…

• Hi there, I had an exciting weekend setting up my new HC2 with a 6TB Red and everything seems to be working fine. I set the hard drive to spin down after 20 minutes and, this morning, I noticed that it was still spinning. I remember reading on here that there is a problem with some WD Hard drives and that I should use a different method for spinning them down. Is there a way to tell whether my particular set up is suffering from this problem?

• OK, this is very slowly sinking in. I have just been reading the Debian Wiki and I was unaware, until now, that "users" doesn't just mean individual users but also includes system users. So am I correct in thinking, therefore, that as soon as I installed TVHeadend on my server, TVHeadend was automatically added as a system user?

• That is great - I shall give that a go when I get in tonight. I think it is my being a Linux novice that is really holding me back on this. At a very fundamental level, am I correct in thinking that OMV lets you create individual users and groups and that you can specify permissions for each? Ultimately, in doing the above, are you creating hts as a user (like Alex), so you can give hts read and write privileges to the Record folder? Thanks for bearing with me on this - cannot understand why I a…

• Source Code (2 lines)

• I have had a bit of a further look at this and I am sort of very slowing getting this (I think). On my system, TVHeadend is known as hts. If I click on Access Rights Management and then on User, there is one user named - "alex" and in the group column it lists "users, cdrom, floppy, audio, dip, video, plugdev, netdev, alex". If I then click on Group, it has "alex" as the sole entry, with the member columns just showing "alex". What is the significance of this?

• Thanks rycoaaron - it is very encouraging that if even you don't ever use ACLs, then I should certainly be staying away from them. With that out of the equation, understanding permissions will hopefully be a bit clearer. Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from elsmandino: “What type of permission would I give to the "Recordings" folder, from the dropdown box? ” It depends. What user is the TVH service running as? The Recordings folder would ideally be owned by a group that the TVH service user is par…

• I am so sorry to raise this issue but despite my having read all related threads on this forum (and all I can about LInux permissions generally), I really just do not understand how permissions and ACL work together. Perhaps someone can help explain with a practical example, to help me understand: I have a single hard drive in my server and I create a single folder on it called "Recordings". I then want to install TVHeadend on my system. I need this application to have access to the "Recordings"…

• Hello. I have just bought myself an Odroid HC2, so I now have two systems on my network running OMV. I want to move one of the hard drives from my original server to the HC2 - do I have to anything about permissions before I do this (I have added the clear permission addon, which I assume is necessary)? I am slightly worried that if I just eject the drive and it to the HC2, it will say something about not having permission to access it. Thanks.

• My Odroid HC2 has just arrived, along with the two identical 32GB SD cards, that I intend to use for the OMV. What is the best way to keep them cloned so that if one suddenly fails, I can quickly slip in the replacement? Should I physically remove the card (say, once a week), clone it with the second via a laptop and then replace it or is there a way to automatically update the card to my backup server?

• Bit of an update - from my research, it would seem that TVHeadend mainly operates in RAM and users have noticed little impact on their SD cards. One other thing I forgot to mention is that I also use my current server to host a MYSQL database, that is shared by all my Kodi clients, to sync watched statuses. I am guessing that this is going to have negligible impact on the SD card either.