Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 142.

• In the first place, it would be better to check why this is happening because it is not normal. You can write a simple script that will check if the process is present. Or do it in the style of the Middle Ages. Every hour, do the cron task. In this case, even if it is ok, it will carry out a preventive restart.

• Quote from Thiswatch: “I am trying to research and take in all this information, yet I feel just as lost as when I started. I think I may be looking too much into it and getting caught up in particulars that don't matter for my needs. I want to ensure personal documents and photos are kept safe. This seems to lead to a minimum of a two disk system with btrfs (and I already back up to backblaze). Movies & TV are somewhat curated, so would only need a couple of terabytes of storage for the foresee…

• ZeroTier... ?

• Quote from tkaiser: “Nothing is uncertain, it's just saving the efforts to create dedicated OMV images again since they require huge amounts of time (I hate releasing stuff without proper testing). Since OMV is based on Debian and Debian will be available on any of the interesting ARM devices OMV will be there or one call of armbian-config away. The only question is what is about OMV and USB storage (or ‘Removable devices’ as @votdev calls them) in the future. I guess Frank (@'madscientist42') w…

• Quote from madscientist42: “Well, that's maybe because nobody using it thought to ask? I'm working on getting an HC1 build set up right now. I'll limp along with what's offered for now, but there's got to be a better answer for all here. ” I have HC1. But maybe it's another reason to choose x86 instead of ARM if the future is so uncertain.

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “unless the source has a bad sector ” Such accidents are quite common in programs that make copies sector by sector. I also had a problem with making a 1:1 copy with the "sector by sector" option where HDD had a bad sector.

• Quote from gt4020: “what is the best way to clone sdcard using a w10 ” Acronis True Image Quote from tkaiser: “Unfortunately not since they skip the most important part: verify. So you don't know whether the image you created is a 1:1 copy of the device or just some garbage in between. ” I use "Acronis True Image" on Windows machines. It has verification of the backup copy just after its execution. The copy itself is done sector by sector it takes a bit, but ... It even needs to be re-verified a…

• If you care about it, you can always force it periodically without looking at the activity. cron + hdparm every given time If the disk will not be used at this time, it will go to sleep. If it is active, it will perform a quick stop / start. You could discuss how bad it is for hdd, but ...

• asaji.me/articles/how-to-install-openvpn-openmediavault.html

• Quote from TOMillr: “I'm getting an error message: But how come that the spin down works fine with a basic Ubuntu install or the FritzOS, which is also based on Linux/Unix? ” It looks like hdparm is not able to handle your hdd... Try replacing hdparm with hd-idle or sdparm. htpcguides.com/spin-down-and-m…ve-power-on-raspberry-pi/ Why it works in ubuntu. I do not know. Maybe it does not use hdparm or it can handle hdd correctly.

• Quote from TOMillr: “Can I run that command somewhere in the web interface? I'm currently running the system headless. ” If you can not use the shell directly ... You can improvise with cron and do the task once. "Scheduled Jobs" will allow you to create a rule as root and perform it manually. But this is a big improvisation!

• Does the disk react to the "hdparm -y"?

• Access to files from Internet

JohnStiles - - General

Quote from tkaiser: “docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure…torage-files-introduction -- that's Microsoft recommending to use SMB3 over the Internet The real problem with exposing SMB over the Internet are misconfigured SMB servers and clients. The Internet and even this forum is full of bad advice telling people to do stupid things like enabling guest logons or SMB1 which totally destroys transport security. The majority of insecure SMB servers today is based on Samba ” Microsoft recommends many differ…

JohnStiles - - General

SMB via the Internet ... Jesus Christ. Only if it must be for any particular reason, otherwise avoid as a black plague. A mass of other solutions specially designed for such needs, not SMB via the Internet. Why people are so afraid of the usual "Indexes" which is available with every web server. Add to this a simple php script with the option to upload and ready. And if not, then nextcloud / pydio or something similar. Or simply FTPS. But for God's sake TLS, not naked ftp.

• It probably should be logical ... Do you want to count new versions down instead of up? 5.0.3-1 5.0.2-1 5.0.1-1 5.0-1 4.1.23-1 4.1.22-1 4.1.21-1 4.1.20-1 4.1.19-1 4.1.18-2 4.1.18-1 4.1.17-1 4.1.16-2 4.1.16-1 4.1.15-1 4.1.14-1 4.1.13-1 4.1.12 4.1.11 4.1.10 4.1.9 4.1.8.2-1 4.1.8.1-1 4.1.8-1 4.1.7-1 4.1.6-1 4.1.5-1 4.1.4-1 4.1.3-1 4.1.2-1 4.1.1-1 4.1.0-1 4.0.19-1 4.0.18-1 4.0.17-1 4.0.16-1 4.0.15-1 4.0.14-1 4.0.13-1 4.0.12-1 4.0.11-1 4.0.10-1 4.0.9-1 4.0.8-1 4.0.7-1 4.0.6-1 4.0.5-1 4.0.4-1 4.0.3-1 …

JohnStiles - - General

Only download? If so then the usual bare https dir. Engaging the cloud for this is a bit like shooting from a cannon to a fly.

• Quote from telijah: “Yes, the entire LAN. When the error exists, I can, for example, connect my Chromebook to the Wifi, but there is no traffic, and I cannot even bring up the router's admin panel. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to configure a vlan with my router's firmware, I'd likely need to dive deep into console commands to do so. ” I am tired so I probably do not see the full picture. But simple thought processes suggest that something is blocking your LAN or causing some conflicts. Si…

• OpenVPN with changing IP

JohnStiles - - Plugins

One of the many dynamic dns services ...

• The whole lan is dying? Even the router / switch? Is it just an omv? If the problem occurs when you do rsync then you have a preliminary direction where there may be a problem. If one machine kills all communications for other devices in the lan, then separate the omv to another physical network or create a separate vlan. And analyze what traffic generates. The first thought is that rsync is doing dos and the switch / router simply chokes.

• Do I really need omv?

JohnStiles - - General

Quote from mappo: “do I need to be here? ” You do not have to be if you do not want to.