Search Results

Search results 1-15 of 15.

• Boot drive mirror satadom

savellm - - RAID

Umm @tkaiser thanks. Yeah mostly media, not the end of the world if I lose everything. I'll backup and do backup just the primary important stuff.

savellm - - RAID

Why x86? Is OMV only x86 right now? I like ZFS, but also like BTRFS. Also like how BTRFS is built in and maintained. Where as ZFS requires changing kernel and plugin and other maintenance factors. I'm also a bit worried about upgradeability when using ZFS especially as plugins. Feel like the direction and support is heading towards better BTRFS (which I used in synology and currently use in unRAID) so I'd rather not have to copy all my data off and rebuild again in 2/3 years.

savellm - - RAID

So wait if future is btrfs, wouldnt installing with btrfs now be beneficial? Or at least use it as a filesystem in a new build? I'm planning to do a 80tb build shortly but want to be prepared for the future, in the sense that when OMV goes to v5, I dont need to worry about my data in doing a fresh install.

savellm - - RAID

Thanks guys, really appreciate your replies.

savellm - - RAID

Besides smaller swap, that wont be a long term issue right? When a new OMV update comes out, would I have to keep removing ram to do the updates? Or once its installed and swap is created, thats it, and it wont change?

savellm - - RAID

Because I tried that and it didnt work with the UEFI installer. I need to go back and look into it again but just havent had the time and I can get the 4.1.3 installed no problem.

savellm - - RAID

Sweet thanks, I'll be sure to do a clone once I'm all setup and running and have the spare dom as a take over if one dies. Lastly @ryecoaaron still wondering on if there are any issues with removing ram, installing and putting ram back?

savellm - - RAID

LOL ok so still use the flashmemory plugin. Thanks for the link, will have a read now.

savellm - - RAID

Thanks @crashtest, I'll wait for @ryecoaaron for a reply about RAM limitations. Lastly the SATADoms I have are the SuperMicro SUPERDoms. They 'seem' to be more like little SATA devices more than glorified USB. I am happy to stand corrected, and happy to install the flashmemory plugin just didnt think it would be needed. If I did DD or clonezilla would it still clone the boot so it would make a 100% like for like and be able to boot from the spare device?

savellm - - RAID

Hey guys, I just received my 2x SATADOM 32GB drives. (I was planning on using FreeNAS) Is there a way I can use these for OMV? And mirror the drives incase ones dies we can just reboot and run off the backup? Lastly, I have 128gb ram, so I'll need to remove a bunch of ram in order to use the OMV installer, will there be any repercussions if I remove ram down to 16gb, install OMV, configure the mirror (if possible), and then reinstall the ram back to 128gb? Would this have any lasting negative ef…

• MDADM or ZFS, EXT4 or BTRFS

savellm - - General

Compilation orgies made me lol. So I didnt do the kernel first and charged in to install zfs plugin: Source Code (19 lines)And its been stuck here for 10mins. I'll let it run but seems dead. Will trying again. Do I need to do proxmox kernel first then install plugin?

savellm - - General

One other question, I saw that people say if you use ZFS you should use the Proxmox kernels, is this still the case?

savellm - - General

What about using OpenZFS? But thanks, this really makes me rethink and I'm going to retest Really appreciate all these comments. Will there get better maintenance of ZFS? IE more GUI options like resliver and so on? If I do ZFS (I was testing FreeNAS) does it have all the auto snapshots and so on? Or does that need to be manually setup or is it not supported?

savellm - - General

Thats part of the problem, ive read so much I now just confusing myself. I also dont really see a good comparison between everything. Lastly I heard that ZFS wasnt well maintained on OMV. And things like snapshots and so on dont work, or dont work in the GUI. This is the reason for all my questions. Is the general consensus that people use ZFS? If so why doesnt it get included and better maintained in OMV?

savellm - - General

Hey guys, I'm in the process of building a new NAS using OMV but there are just so many option available. Which is a blessing and a curse Server has 12x 8TB drives, and 128gb Ram. I've been tossing up between MDADM and ZFS. I think I'm going to use MDADM as its built in and well supported. Are there any performance differences? Does MDADM stripe data across drives like ZFS so it'll read and write to all drives? Lastly FS, EXT4 or BTRFS? I know EXT4 is the old tried and true, but I'm kinda worrie…