Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Quote from tkaiser: “All I did was explaining to @Blabla that there might be issues with btrfs and USB in some cases (you demonstrated this with all your 'btrfs expertise' being based on playing a bit around with one RPi 2 and a random external USB enclosure with some random disk inside ” There's no lack of understanding here. BTRFS doesn't do well with USB - enough said, end of story. And while my use case experience tends to confirm that, it means nothing in itself. In any case talking about B…

• RE thumbdrives: It's just dirt simple to clone them and with one working clone, one backup, and one archive copy (the way I do it) it would be difficult to mess that up. You'd have a back out option. (I do label them, to prevent confusion.) For speed of cloning I'd go for the 32GB size. 64GB would last longer (wear leveling, also mentioned in the guide) but the cloning operation would take up to twice as long. If I used 64GB drives, I'd test Win32DM's option, "Read Only Allocated Partitions" to …

• Quote from technicali: “Is there a fairly straightforward method of backing up/snapshotting an OMV installation which is installed directly to hardware, preferably incrementally, with a GUI and which can similarly be restored? ” There are many ways to backup OMV (as in the OS) but the easiest I've found and the absolute fastest to restore is, using and cloning thumbdrives. ( Here, on page 75 in the current version.) While it's an offline process, it's simple and effective and would allow you to …

• Quote from tkaiser: “here since a few months known under the pseudonym 'crashtest' and not 'flmaxey' any more ” Oh no,,, you "outed" me. I feel so exposed. Really, do you think I care? (I find it interesting that you seem to think so.) Before this becomes yet another obsession ((along with continually reused statements like "write barrier semantics" and "anachronistic methods from the last century")), I'll tell you why I changed my user name. I didn't want former work associates dropping into th…

• Why would you set PID (process ID) to 0? I had to look that up. That's a kernel mode PID for swapper or shed, for paging. GID and UID 0 is the root group/user ________________________________________________ On your Docker Page, in the upper window (Docker Images), what do you have under Repository.? Also, if you're creating files and folders from your PC the PC user needs at least write on OMV. Do you know how to set that up.?

• omv, snapraid, unionfs

crashtest - - RAID

Quote from jollyrogr: “You should be able to configure unionfs so that you don't need to move any files. It may require re-naming some shares but that would seem to be easier to me. ” Quote from mneese: “Not so...can you give me some config tips to make this happen without moving all those files? ” @mneese , @jollyrogr is on the money. Once the UnionFS drive (mount point) is created, go into edit mode on one of your old shared folders, and hit the drop down arrow in the Device line. Select the U…

• The first question I'd ask, is this a new setup or has this configuration worked before? _______________________________ You're assuming that this is a permissions related problem when, in fact, it may be a configuration item in the Docker itself. What I would look at first is the sabnzbd docker itself. - First, the docker may need a UID or GID set in its configuration. - Second, would be taking a look at the volumes and mount points for the docker. - Third would be examining the setup of this p…

• In the mean time, since you have 2 each 4TB drives, you can achieve full data drive backup with Rsync. This guide, on page 64 (in the current version) explains how to set up it.

• Quote from neurotone: “If I could pick your brain for a moment what would you recommend for raid? Now that you know basically what I use OMV for. ” First, if you have backup (at least for personal files that can't be replaced), you're way ahead of most. The only way to insure that you'll keep your data is to back it up, as in a second copy of everything you want to keep. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time.... "RAID", for most home servers, doesn't make a lot of sense. While RAID solved a few …

• Keeping in mind that video files are large, what will be the bulk of your media storage? Video? *Edit: I saw the thread you looked at RE SNAPRAID & UnionFS. If you set up that way, you should be fine.

• Cannot download and Install Syncthing

crashtest - - Docker

Quote from ttan98: “No one helping, I fixed it myself, considered solved ” A slight misconfiguration of the container, perhaps?

• OMV virtualbox hell

crashtest - - General

Quote from wgmcg: “sigh... what a joke. You know, it's time for software "engineers" (lol!) to consider that maybe their work does more harm than good. ” Well, unlike Microsoft, here you can get your purchase price back, no questions asked. (Sorry for the poor sense of humor.) ______________________________________ You might have to rebuild. It happens. Even with commercial products like Microsoft - I've had hardware, device drivers, etc., that resulted in the Blue Screen of Death. This is nothi…

• Backing up Windows to OMV

crashtest - - General

I agree with all above. I've looked at more than a couple packages. UrBackUp is the best I've found and that includes commercial products. I've done bare metal restorations with it, and they're both easy and fast. If you're thinking about giving it a try, you might find this -> thread useful.

• Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from crashtest: “Address the user, not me ” 'The user' hopefully knows where to look at (fallback behavior to guest logon if authenticated logon fails in 'non domain' situations. ” Here we go with another continuation of thread nonsense. Think about it - if the user knew - would they ask the question? Quote from tkaiser: “I was not talking to @ras07 but to YOU ” This is the basic problem. If you don't know by now, I'm not interested in your opinions on an operating sys…

• Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from crashtest: “The Domain login "might" need an extra step (not tested): **Before setting up a user in Credential Manager, I'd test access first. A CM user may not be necessary.** Set up a user name and password in Credential Manager. (The same username and password used to login to Win10 would make sense, but any username and password would do.) ” What an insane BS. ” The above is not even relevant because, again, I clearly stated that the login with the MS account …

• Quote from tkaiser: “So much confusion spread again... support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/ ” Did you read it? That bulletin only applies Win10 Enterprise and Education editions. That's clearly stated, both in the bulletin and in the previous post. There's no confusion here. Win10 Enterprise and Education editions are fairly rare, corporations and schools only. I just tested the permission settings, with Win10 Pro / local logon, using a username and password unknown to the server. It worked…

• Quote from ras07: “Simple requirement: I'd like to be able to access a Samba share from any stock, unmodified Windows 10 machine with NO login and NO password. Years ago this was easy, but Microsoft has made it progressively harder with seemingly every update. Is this even possible these days? ” First, there are two exceptions; Win10 Enterprise and Win10 Education editions. These variants are setup for Domain security, out of the box, so a policy change would be needed. _________________________…

• Quote from Driven: “I know I can get by without an SSD but the first rule around here seems to be use what you got . ” Absolutely. Learn on something that's either cheap or free. If you find that what you have works for you, great. If you find you need something better, at least you'll be shopping with the knowledge of what you need, in hand. Quote from Driven: “I have a source for free, lightly used, older parts and a 128 SSD ” Then, I have to say, I really like the SSD idea. __________________…

• OMV in BerryBoot

crashtest - - General

Adding OMV to "BerryBoot", for an R-PI, is not a good idea. Openmediavault (OMV) is used as a NAS which doesn't lend itself to a part time role. If you want to evaluate OMV as a home file server, media server, etc., I'd suggest that you get another SD-card (8 to 32GB) that can be dedicated to that purpose. This -> guide will get you started.

• Quote from Driven: “I could use a variation of that to install OMV to the SSD, repartition, use the rest of the SSD as originally planned (scratch, downloads that will be moved, etc) ” I've been using USB thumbdrives as boot drives for years, with no problems, using the flash memory plugin of course. In this respect, I agree with KM0201 and @TechnoDadLife - separating the boot drive from data drive(s) makes recovery of either far easier. And if the OS is on a USB thumbdrive, cloning it for backu…