Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Quote from crashtest: “You seem to be crediting Volkers decision to postpone the "BTRFS only" proposal on my one anecdotal (negative) experience ” You should really learn to read and understand. All I did was explaining to @Blabla that there might be issues with btrfs and USB in some cases (you demonstrated this with all your 'btrfs expertise' being based on playing a bit around with one RPi 2 and a random external USB enclosure with some random disk inside) and that the one person on Github is …

• HDD failure ? What's wrong ?

tkaiser - - General

Quote from botteur: “here's what I have ” If this is the disk also known as ata9 then a value of 390 is 390 too much. In case this value further increases there's definitely a cable/contact problem resulting in CRC mismatches (SATA checksums data on the wire to detect bad cabling or contact problems).

tkaiser - - General

Quote from tkaiser: “check SMART attribute 199 for CRC errors ” Again: check this attribute. SMART 'health' is unrelated to cabling/contact problems. Use 'smartctl' in the CLI or check details of each disk in the UI (ata9 is most probably /dev/sdj)

tkaiser - - General

I would be worried and first check SMART attribute 199 for CRC errors.

• Severe Installation Issues

tkaiser - - General

Quote from gabs247: “I tried reinstalling OMV 4 ” Your pictures show a kernel 3.16 so most probably you're not installing OMV 4 (which would run at least with kernel 4.9). Also USB errors are shown and I would try to resolve such basic hardware issues first.

• Quote from Blabla: “OMV5 will be based on Debian 10 right? ” Yes. That's also why right now you won't be able to run anything else than OMV5 on the RPi 4 since all the RPi Trading folks provide is a Raspbian Buster (Debian 10). There's no real reason for this other than them wanting to force all users on a single install base (in the past they stopped to provide kernel updates for Jessie users for example) and technically it might be rather simple to provide an OMV4 image that runs on the RPi 4 …

• Quote from Blabla: “On github there is a huge discussione about OMV 5 only supporting BTRFS ” github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/101 was a proposal for OMV5 but as you can see there the label changed to OMV6 in the meantime. Btrfs and any other modern filesystem doesn't deal well with broken write barrier semantics and the one person there in this Github issue (here since a few months known under the pseudonym 'crashtest' and not 'flmaxey' any more) obsessed by the idea btrfs would …

• Quote from Mr.Onion: “Any thoughts on how much ram is worth it for omv? ” For basic NAS functionality 512MB RAM are fine. It depends on amount of containers/dockers how much RAM you really need.

• The RPi 4 is the first RPi iteration that actually might make sense as NAS since not featuring the 'everything behind one USB2 port' limitation any more. Also users buying RPi Trading's USB-C PSU at the same time might save themselves the underpowering hassles the RPi is 'famous' for. More information: - cnx-software.com/2019/06/24/ra…1-processor-up-to-4gb-ram (see also the comments) - heise.de/ct/artikel/Raspberry-…-Rechenpower-4452964.html (also consumption, network and storage performance dat…

• Quote from tobefond: “Do you know any possibility to increase network speed with multiple lines to allow paralell access of multiple users to access the NAS with high speed? ” With multiple users Link Aggregation can work to improve overall bandwidth. But each link is still 1 Gbps and the usual algorithms to spread individual connections over the existing LAG members often results in all clients being on the same link if there are only a few clients. An approach that works better is 'SMB multich…

• Quote from tobefond: “Link Aggregation of both Ethernet lines ” Does NOT increase bandwidth.

• Quote from vko: “How do I install OMV on Armbian? ” armbian-config --> Software --> Softy --> Install OMV

• Quote from vko: “Question: How to I set the frequency to 1.8/1.4GHz? ” Just set it to 1.8 GHz and you're done. Little cores at 1.4GHz or 1.5GHz doesn't change a lot, it's the big cores that make the difference. Quote from vko: “xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.11.auto: Ring expansion failed ” Known 'USB sucks on Linux' problem but this shouldn't occur with my OMV image since forum.armbian.com/topic/4811-u…oherent-pool-memory-size/ -- if this also occurs with the Armbian based OMV image then please report this …

• Quote from TOMillr: “Is the index of the file system stored on the system drive? ” It's either cached in RAM (all the available RAM usually ends up being used for this sort of caches) or on the disk in question. Whether the disk spins up or not when you 'browse' the filesystem depends on too many factors to give any meaningful answer. I just had a quick look at an OMV5 test install: Source Code (2 lines)The ext4 formatted share has relatime set so accessing the filesystem contents will spin up t…

• Quote from vko: “Any idea why formatting an SSD connected over USB is taking so long and crashing the board in the process ” Most probably since USB(3) sucks. Edit: there's a need to clarify: when you dealt with the SSD on the USB port did you then power the M4 via the SATA HAT or USB-C? If the latter then this is known to be M4's Achilles heel (undervoltage resulting in freezes under load). Since powering via USB-C (not USB PD compliant) is such a sh*t show FriendlyELEC now even sells an own PS…

• ZFS pool problem after re-install

tkaiser - - Plugins

Quote from MarcS: “The problem was a Kernel confilct with ZFS ” Quick web search suggests that it was rather a missing reboot. Anyway: if you're now on Proxmox's 4.15 that's fine.

• Quote from TOMillr: “I'm curious how OMV handles spin-up an spin-down of connected hard-drives. ” OMV does nothing here since this all depends on what the Linux kernel does depending on how you configured your storage. With 3 drives and RAID5 all drives will spin up, with other attempts that keep each disk independent from each other this won't happen. You need to provide a bit more details about your setup...

• Where did the idea to fiddle around in the OMV UI to set a 'static IP address' originated from? From a guide like this here New User Guide - Getting Started with Openmediavault ?

• ZFS pool problem after re-install

tkaiser - - Plugins

Did you already reboot after 'installing' the ZFS plugin?

• Quote from Akeem: “the OMV machine always receives the same IP address 192.168.0.115 from the router ” What about reverting back to DHCP then if it's always the same address (as it's almost always the case with DHCP in this century. And usually modern router allow to set a static DHCP lease at the router's side too)? At least just for testing purposes... BTW: There is no 'OMV firewall' and there's also nothing like 'an outside network' when it's about 'OMV services'. Your router should do NAT an…