Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 556.

• How do I install OMV on Ubuntu?

Adoby - - General

How to install OMV on Ubuntu: Install OMV, with Debian, as a VM under Ubuntu.

• Quote from Thiswatch: “This does sound like a good idea with the exception of tkaiser's point: what if the disk fails? ” Then you can still access your files from the backup server, while you revive or replace the failed drive. You can even reconfigure the backup HC2 to fully replace the failed server, since you have full hardware redundancy. No difference from a drive failure on a single drive server without redundancy. If it is really important data you most likely have secondary offline backu…

• A two SATA SBC NAS with a slot for nvme ssd would be great. But for me to buy one it would also need more RAM than 4GB and really good software support. Otherwise I might just as well keep using my HC2s like now. 16-32 GB RAM, or even more, would be nice for running plenty of dockers and having plenty of disk caches as well. Actually, with enough extra RAM I would skip the nvme ssd. Perhaps slots for extra RAM?

• Quote from tkaiser: “IOnce there's data corruption on either OMV host you need to copy data over from the other instance. ” I don't like the manual task of copying over data. The combined automated bitrot detection AND silent/automatic correction is what makes btrfs interesting for me. Without that I might just as well use ext4, syncs, hardlink and checksums. I am already testing/writing software to do the ext4/sync/hardlink/checksum thing, but that only runs like a backup job. This is for a slo…

• If you want full bitrot protection on one HC2, with automatic bitrot correction, you could use a single big HDD and use half as redundant duplicate storage for btrfs. Btrfs can then use this duplicate data to automatically and transparently fix any bitrot errors. And then, as suggested above, use another HC2 in the same way for backups in several versions. I haven't tried this setup, but it should be possible to configure using btrfs and it should work fine and give extremely secure storage for …

• No idea. I don't use Windows at all. But I assume there are plenty of nice windows sd card cloning software. Try google for "clone sd card windows".

• Flashmemory Plugin

Adoby - - Plugins

Restore the root fs from backup. Or reinstall from scratch. It is always a very good idea to backup the root fs before trying something new... Most likely it is possible to fix the problem in some much less drastic way, but I have no idea how.

• System partition full (newbie)

Adoby - - General

You could try to clean the rootfs by removing the SD card and delete (or save) the contents of /sharedfolders folder on the SD car, using some linux computer. Possibly a windows computer, with a SD card reader that you booted from a USB stick with Ubuntu Linux on it. Or boot from a SD card and delete the contents of /sharedfolders folder on emmc.

• disk system out of order

Adoby - - General

The old data disks should be detected by the new system. You just need to mount them and recreate the shares and reactivate the services that use these shares.

• Btrfs advice on Odroid HC1/HC2

Adoby - - General

From a data recovery or safety perspective there is no reason to prefer ext4 over btrfs. However ext4 may still be a little faster and have wider support. Since btrfs can do much more than ext4 you need to actually learn new stuff to actually make use of those extra features. I still use ext4 on my HC2s... If you often have problems with the power supply you should use a UPS. I don't. I have never had any problems with a corrupted filesystem after a power failure or after simply pulling the plug…

• Best choice for NAS? Intel/AMD?

Adoby - - My NAS Build

I use ARM instead of both Intel or AMD. One ARM32 Odroid HC2 OMV NAS + one single 12TB Ironwolf HDD draws around 10W and provides similar (or better) performance as a file server. Both Intel and AMD should work perfectly fine. Or ARM... Your preferences and needs should decide. Price/performance/power/features/availability. Typically it is the features provided by the motherboard in combination with the CPU that is important. Not the CPU in itself. Size? Need noisy fans? Support for how many SAT…

• Skip rsync. Simply connect the PC to the NAS and copy the files over. Or if the client is a Linux PC, simply run "rsync -a source destination" over SSH or a mount. Or if the PC is a Mac or Windows PC, install grsync or some other rsync program and figure out how to use it. opbyte.it/grsync/

• Well, then a and b could be separate filesystems, both separately mounted at /sharedfolders. Not hardlinks. Since I have never had more than one shared folder, I never noticed that. KISS. When I move files around in my single shared folder it is always instantaneous. If you are sure you don't want or need instantaneous moves, then keep copying between two different filesystems. Try doing a search for something like: "how do I check if two files are on the same filesystem" for more information on…

• It is because before moving the files there is a check to see what filesystem each file lives on. If both filesystems are the same, then the file is simply renamed. And that is instantaneous. If the filesystems reported by the operating system are different then the file is copied to the new location and the old file is deleted. This can be very slow if it has to be done via a client that is connected over the network. It is easy to confuse the operating system and make it fail to see that the f…

• I could get the Ironwolf, HC2 and OMV working fine again with a restore of the SD card from a backup image. A backup image where I had never touched the physical disk properties. Or with a fresh reinstall where I never touched any of the physical disk properties. My HC2s are humming along perfectly fine now, without any of the physical disk properties activated. I also reflashed the SATA firmware, but that was only needed to increase the spindown time. Not to fix the problem with the hdd unmount…

• I had a very similar experience. I solved it and now my HC2s and my 12TB Ironwolf HDDs are working perfectly with OMV. It seems that some HDDs, possibly in connection with a USB-SATA bridge, are incompatible with hdparm. And OMV use hdparm to set physical disk properties. You get there by selecting edit on the disk. I did a complete reinstall and simply made sure not to use or change any of the physical disk properties. And then everything was perfectly fine. And has been since then. I reflashed…

• It should be possible to move the HDD. And create a share and using command line tools move the old data into the shared folder. However, even if the old HDD use ext4 I suspect it also has some extra system/boot partition(s) that may be annoying and confusing. I would recommend you to get a new fresh big nice HDD and use that instead. And keep to old NAS for backups. I still have my old Synology 411j NAS with 4x3TB drives. It is used as offline archive. I use mostly Seagate IronWolf 12TB NAS dri…

• YunoHost run under OMV4 ?

Adoby - - General

You should be able to run OMV in a VM under YunoHost or YunoHost in a VM under OMV. Or both in separate VMs under some other host. But I don't think they could run together. Too much overlap. However, both are free. So why not just try to install both and see what happens? What is the worst that could happen?

• Or create one single folder to share them all. And then move the other folders to inside that folder. Then you only need one share to share everything. A side benefit is that everything will be in the same filesystem. So you can move stuff around instantaneously within that filesystem.

• Regarding hidden memory use. It is possible that the free memory becomes fragmented. That may mean that it looks like there is enough memory left, but no chunk of free memory is actually big enough when a program request more memory. If there is little free memory to start with, and you run several big programs simultaneously, this fragmentation can happen quickly.